What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a ipad

Dezader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone !
I need help choosing the right ipad. I am choosing between the 16gb with cellural and 32gb with wifi version. Any suggestions which one to buy ? I think that 16 gb will be too less for me and ill run out of memory soon but meanwhile it would be useful for me to have cellural when im not in an wifi area. Do you guys think wifi will be enough ?
Any suggestions appreciated :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get as much storage as you can afford. Newer firmware and apps will continue to get bigger to take advantage of the improved hardware in newer iPads.

Get a 3G/4G model if you want to use GPS on iPad. The wifi models don't have GPS. GPS is useful for location services for many apps, not just for mapping.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello everyone !
I need help choosing the right ipad. I am choosing between the 16gb with cellural and 32gb with wifi version. Any suggestions which one to buy ? I think that 16 gb will be too less for me and ill run out of memory soon but meanwhile it would be useful for me to have cellural when im not in an wifi area. Do you guys think wifi will be enough ?
Any suggestions appreciated :)

Hi Dezader - welcome to the forum! :)

As you will discover, there will be a lot of different opinions and your choice will depend on the amount of storage you'll need & also on 'how much' you want to spend on a 'wireless' connection, i.e. Wi-Fi alone or cellular w/ a data plan?

As to storage, there is a general computer rule (also applies to storing CDs/DVDs), i.e. figure out what you need @ the moment, then at least 'double' that amount - I would suggest that you purchase the 32GB model.

As to 'wireless', that is more difficult and really a choice only you can make - I have the iPad2 w/ just Wi-Fi which we use @ home (w/ a Wi-Fi router) and on the road (virtually every place we stay has Wi-Fi), so that option is fine w/ me; however if your Wi-Fi hotspots are limited where you live, if you need constant 'wireless' connection (e.g. in a car or in remote areas), and the cost of the data plan is acceptable, then you can easily make a decision - good luck!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can buy a 3G/4G model and never use a cell plan. That's if you're just looking to use GPS.

OP
D

Dezader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then 32 gb it is. Ill see if i can get a discount on the 32 gb cellural version, if not ill get the wifi version.
Thanks for the answers :thumbs:

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can buy a 3G/4G model and never use a cell plan. That's if you're just looking to use GPS.

That's an interesting point and one which may be what I needed in pushing me to replace my 64GB Wifi only model.
If there's one area I do miss it is GPS.
Now you mention you don't actually need a SIM Card to use GPS I will more than likely go ahead and purchase the SIM & Wifi 64GB model.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having a 3G/4G model also affords you flexibility at a price. If you're ever in need of a data plan for whatever reason, including while traveling overseas, you can just buy yourself some access. For security's sake, I'd suggest reading up on the risks of using public wifi, which can expose your data to unsavory types. You can find lots of info by googling a phrase like "public wifi risks." Whether it's your email, social networking accounts, financial info or whatever, you should know the risks and decide whether you want to take them. For me, the choice is easy; I'd rather skip access than use public networks if I couldn't afford a data plan. YMMV.

If you use public wifi, VPN is a security possibility worth considering, also at a cost.

OP
D

Dezader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright ive made my decision, ill get the 32 gb with 4g with a data plan, i got a great offer from my carrier ;)

OP
D

Dezader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ill receive my ipad next tuesday but now i am thinking about a case or screen protector. I like the smart case but it seems a bit too expensive for the thing, any other recommendations? Is a screen protector worth if ive got a case ?

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go for the case but not the screen protector.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts