What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINALLY - A way to copy files from SD card to Portable HDD while traveling

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dusted off my old DLink DI 624S "Wireless Storage Router" which has 2 USB ports that can be connected to USB hard drives. Most importantly this device has file server software embedded in it.

I plugged a mini SD card reader into one USB port and the portable HDD into the other. I then connected to the router (via WiFi), both drives were then visible in FileBrowser (after adding the router to it) making it possible to backup photos from the SD card to the HDD. I can also use FileBrowser to view any of the photos on the HDD while traveling.

The router is also useful as a wireless hotspot if you find yourself in a hotel that has only Ethernet (there still seem to be some around). It's one bit of gear to pack but smaller and lighter than even a netbook.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I moved this to Anything Goes section ~ if this has something to do with the iPad ~ let me know and I will pop it back.:)

I am talking about using the iPad to copy files from an SD card to a portable HDD, something that is not directly possible on the iPad due to the the lack of an SD card slot and the lack of support for disc drives on the Camera Connection Kit. FileBrowser being an iOS app indirectly refers to the iPad in my opinion.

I agree that there is no actual mention of the iPad.

The message, I think, is that WiFi is the path by which many of the hardware limitations/omissions of the iPad can be circumvented.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The message, I think, is that WiFi is the path by which many of the hardware limitations/omissions of the iPad can be circumvented.

In other words, a WiFi Storage Router in combination with FileBrowser mostly solves the lack of USB Portable HDD support on the iPad (see I mentioned the iPad :)). If there are 2 USB ports you can even use the iPad to copy files from your camera's SD card to a Portable HDD.

Most reactions