What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FileBrowser Users....Access NAS remotely..

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a DLink DNS-323 NAS. I have set up FileBrowser to access it when i'm on my home network. Pretty simple setup.

What i'm having a problem with is connecting to my NAS remotely. I've tried a million settings on FileBrowser to connect to my NAS when i'm off my home network.

I use DynDNS and I'm able to connect to my NAS remotely from my Android phone and work computer with no problem.

Any tips?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had no problem setting it up on my Western Digital NAS.

All that was required was an IP address, user name and password.

Under Advanced Settings, the SMB port number was set 445 which think must be the default because I don't remember setting it.

Do you have and SMB shares set up on your NAS? Mine had some by default.

OP
RedWings

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no problem setting it up on my Western Digital NAS.

All that was required was an IP address, user name and password.

Under Advanced Settings, the SMB port number was set 445 which think must be the default because I don't remember setting it.

Do you have and SMB shares set up on your NAS? Mine had some by default.

It does see my ip address via DynDNS, but then it says connection timed out. I have forwarded port 445 to the NAS within the router settings.

If I type in the ip address instead of using DynDNS, it still gives me "Timed out connecting" erros

OP
RedWings

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured it out. Some ISPs block port 445. So I forwarded port 139 (tcp) to the NAS. then in filebrowser I set the SMB port to 139. Connects fine now.

wekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am using the DNS-323 and Filebrowser. Tried everything possible but cant get it to work in 3G. In wi-fi, it works excellently. Appreciate help. Tks.

kopmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm using iPad 2 and Dlink DNS 320. My filebrowser can access thru wifi but not 3G I know some forward port to other no and set same port in filebrowser and NAS. How do I go about forwarding the port? Thanks.

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
2 things come to mind, as the difference between home wifi and 3g access is the network.
Check your router/firewall to do proper forwarding to your nas and check your nas that it's not limiting traffic to just the lan zone it's in.

kopmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Webalistic,

I'm using a cisco router modem DPC 3925 linking to my Dlink DNS320. In the router's "Port Range Forwarding", i've input "1025" in the start & end field and entering my ip address (correct me if I'm wrong cos i'm newbie). Then in the NAS setting should i change under FTP server to enter port as 1025 or where should i do the changes? So far my Filebrower can access the NAS under wifi but i would like to remotely access it when i'm out of home.

Please kindly enlighten me. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts