What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File Sharing, Again.

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the File Manager App on my iPad2 and iPad Mini. I enter the documents on the iPad2 but want to transfer them to the iPad Mini. I have tried the File Sharing feature on iTunes. I have the files from the app backed up on my computer, but when I try the file sharing process where you can copy files on your computer to the File Manager app on my Mini, I cannot duplicate the process described by Apple. It says you can drag and drop from your computer files to the documents list or click on "Add" and then select the files you want transferred, then select "choose" and they will be transferred. However in this instance I cannot see where the "choose" option is located. And when I tried to drag and drop, nothing happened. Has anyone had success using File Sharing where you have been able to transfer(copy) files on your computer to your device using the process described by Apple? Thanks.

OP
foothillfanatic

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gave up on Apple's File Sharing. Instead found a solution thru the File Manager app. It allows you to compress a file/document into a zip file and email it. It did this on the iPad2, and then when I opened the file in the email on my Mini, it gave me the option of saving it to the File Manager app. I did this and then opened the zip file in that app. A bit cumbersome but it was accomplished relatively quickly and if you have just a few files to move it works well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was going to recommend trying a different approach. The File Sharing thing is only intended to work between the computer and iOS; so even if you figured out a work around it would entail several more steps than idea.

I prefer using DropBox or Box for file sharing between devices; with the added bonus that the files are also available on my computer.

But if your current solution is everything you want, that works too.

navneetsinha999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[h=2]As a computer technician, my opinion of most file sharing programs is pretty low. Most of them have few computer security options, if any.
[/h]

flyrabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try other ways, I have not used the apple's file sharing yet. I used an App called "Fly Transfer". It is used to transfer photos, videos, music, PDF and other files over WiFi,
You can also try it. You can get it in App Store.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Transfer app makes it easy to transfer files between iDevices, PCs, MACs, etc.

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...... I prefer using DropBox or Box for file sharing between devices; with the added bonus that the files are also available on my computer.....

X2.....Dropbox works perfectly and is a great way to share stuff between devices....I've been using it extensively while setting up my new iPad.... Getting critical xls's, pdf's, docx's, etc onto the iPad from the MBP.

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

Most reactions