What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fastest way to transfer large files to ipad

iW00t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to transfer 1-2 GB files from my macbook to my ipad 2, and I see I have several options.. I was generally disappointed in the transfer speed of most of these options, so I would like to know: which is the fastest way to transfer somewhat large files to your ipad? Is it via ssh, dropbox, megaupload and the like, or perhaps a completely different way?

Cheers.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use GoodReader; then you can transfer files directly over WiFi, so you're at 54 Mbps or higher....

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are jail broken, then SSH is the way to go. I use either (1) OpenSSH in combination with WinSCP, both free, or (2) PC Networking, a $7.30 (USD) paid app from Cydia. Both of these have transfer speeds - to my eyes, I haven't measured - similar to just moving a file/folder around in Windows Explorer.

If you're not jail broken, then I'd go with Tim's suggest to use Goodreader (the "Swiss Army Knife" of apps). It is a wonderful tool!

Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

OP
I

iW00t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys.. It is jailbroken but my experience with ssh is that it took forever, I also use openssh and then fugu for mac :S

Anyways, I think I will give Goodreader a try.. I'll let you know whether it worked faster than ssh for me..

OP
I

iW00t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I just transferred 2 files of about 1GB each and it took 54 mins with openssh and about 55-56 mins with goodreader, so the difference (if any) is marginal..

OP
I

iW00t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use GoodReader; then you can transfer files directly over WiFi, so you're at 54 Mbps or higher....

Tim

Where does Goodreader save the file? I am trying to access/move it in iFile..

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In iFile, it's

/var/mobile/Applications/[Goodreader*]/Documents

*If you turn on the naming feature, you can see the actual names of the apps. Else, it's this long, incomprehensible unique-to-each-iPad number...

Marilyn

OP
I

iW00t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In iFile, it's

/var/mobile/Applications/[Goodreader*]/Documents

*If you turn on the naming feature, you can see the actual names of the apps. Else, it's this long, incomprehensible unique-to-each-iPad number...

Marilyn

Thanks, I actually went and downloaded Applinks from Cydia, which creates shortcuts of all your apps with their proper names... Guess it would have been easier to use that naming feature.. Did know about that one before now :D

hirschhs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apologies for bumping this old thread but... GR seems to have a file size limit and I can't even download a 250mb video to my PC from the jailbroken ipad 2. . Maybe I'm going about it in the wrong way but I can't seem to find a work-around.
In the end I've had to transfer the vid to camera roll, and upload from the Ipad to Gdrive using Itransfer but I am sure there's an easier route!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep. Very old thread.

Wireless:

I like the PhotoSync app for transferring photos and videos between my devices and computer. There is a free companion app for the computer that makes it easier, but it is not necessary.

There are dozens of similar apps, and everyone has their favorite.

If you use the USB cable:

On Windows the iPad should show up as a USB drive. Dig through the DCMI folder to find your photos and videos, then copy them to the computer. I don' not recommend that you delete them from the computer.

On a Mac, the included Image Capture app can be used to copy photos and videos off your iPad to the Mac.

Also, GoodReader has had a major update, a completely different app. You have to pay again, but I think it is worth it. But I don't know if it will fix the file size limits you are experiencing.

GoodReader 4

Most reactions