What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast Remote Desktop iPad app

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad. I just saw a free app - 'Fast Remote Desktop by VDIworks' - »www.vdiworks.com/datasheets/VoIP_Guide.pdf

"Fast Remote Desktop by VDIworks lets you connect to and control any Windows PC in the world! Install the app on your iPad and download the server or host component of the software from the VDIworks website, at Virtualization Software for Desktops,Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, VDI, Deskto and you're ready to go! Once you have downloaded and installed the Fast Remote Desktop app, please visit the VDIworks.com website to obtain the installer for your PC. Once you download and install this software on your PC, it will be capable of allowing connections from your iPad."

It's raining and cold today so maybe my brain is slow, but does this mean that I can use my iPad to open a remote desktop session of my PC and do everything on my iPad that I can do on my real PC? Could I open Firefox and browse my bookmarks. Can I open any Desktop application and use the application? What about security - I have my banking info and other personal info on my PC. Would using this app comprise the private info on my PC when I was using the iPad as a remote PC ?

Thanks

Robert

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, another good one is splashtop remote. It's not free but works really well.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Splashtop isnt free for the iPad, no, however it is fast enough that, provided you have a good connection (3G or WIFI) you can stream video, Flash and even games. Just to test it out, I was able to connect to World of Warcraft and run around. Won't be raiding without a mouse, but it was definitely playable.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's raining and cold today so maybe my brain is slow, but does this mean that I can use my iPad to open a remote desktop session of my PC and do everything on my iPad that I can do on my real PC? Could I open Firefox and browse my bookmarks. Can I open any Desktop application and use the application? What about security - I have my banking info and other personal info on my PC. Would using this app comprise the private info on my PC when I was using the iPad as a remote PC?

There are several remote apps; like db85 I use Splashtop and like it a lot. To answer your questions:

yes, you could create a remote session and run your pc from your iPad, like run Firefox or other broswers (I used IE to watch last night's "How I Met Your Mother" ep this morning, for example).

You can run any desktop application, but not all remote apps stream all data - some have trouble with Java, some with Flash. I have run the entire Office suite on my iPad (just finished my team's annual performance reviews).

Security-wise: you can password protect your connection, so that someone can't use your iPad to access your pc without knowing your password. I have Splashtop set to not ask for a password when I'm using it at home, but demand one when I'm trying to access away from home. Since it's a 17-digit mix of numbers and letters I'd say it's pretty secure.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's raining and cold today so maybe my brain is slow, but does this mean that I can use my iPad to open a remote desktop session of my PC and do everything on my iPad that I can do on my real PC? Could I open Firefox and browse my bookmarks. Can I open any Desktop application and use the application? What about security - I have my banking info and other personal info on my PC. Would using this app comprise the private info on my PC when I was using the iPad as a remote PC?

There are several remote apps; like db85 I use Splashtop and like it a lot. To answer your questions:

yes, you could create a remote session and run your pc from your iPad, like run Firefox or other broswers (I used IE to watch last night's "How I Met Your Mother" ep this morning, for example).

You can run any desktop application, but not all remote apps stream all data - some have trouble with Java, some with Flash. I have run the entire Office suite on my iPad (just finished my team's annual performance reviews).

Security-wise: you can password protect your connection, so that someone can't use your iPad to access your pc without knowing your password. I have Splashtop set to not ask for a password when I'm using it at home, but demand one when I'm trying to access away from home. Since it's a 17-digit mix of numbers and letters I'd say it's pretty secure.

Splashtop remote is the only one I use and the only one I would recommend. It does everything. It is also the only one I've seen that can run 3D graphics no problem. The only thing it can't run is full screen apps that have independent resolution settings. So if you have any apps that default to full screen you will have to tell it to be windowed to run it.

Unfortunately special keys (function, ctrl, cmd) don't work....but thats more the fault of the iPad and not the app. Also, while it is fast enough to run 3D games there is no way to control them since for some reason it refused to take held input commands for anything except typing text.

Also, if you run plex, audio doesn't work (I know there is an app, but I really hate it.....it is def an iPhone app stretched to an iPad form....they should have just made the desktop version for iPad!!).

Splashtop price varies between 99¢ and $3...and it is well worth the $30 I paid for worthless iTeleport!

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jump Desktop is the one I like. It supports both RDP and VNC so you can connect to a Mac or a PC from the same program. It supports left handed users and has a method that allows you to move the mouse pointer without hiding it under your finger.

And if you use XP, Vista or Windows 7 Pro editions you don't even have to load any special software on the PC.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jump Desktop is the one I like. It supports both RDP and VNC so you can connect to a Mac or a PC from the same program. It supports left handed users and has a method that allows you to move the mouse pointer without hiding it under your finger.

And if you use XP, Vista or Windows 7 Pro editions you don't even have to load any special software on the PC.

Splashtop works on both PC and Mac as well.

OP
B

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm still a little confused - does my PC need to be on to use this type application - it would seem so. So I decide to go on vacation for a week - do I need to leave my PC on while I'm away in order to view my Desktop on my iPad. Dollars to donuts that Windows will freeze/crash while I'm away - them I'm SOL right?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I'm still a little confused - does my PC need to be on to use this type application - it would seem so.

Splashtop Remote supports Wake On Lan, so that if your pc is connected via ethernet cable in suspend/sleep mode, it will wake the computer for you. Personally, I don't bother - I leave my home system on all the time with the monitor off and the power management settings set to idle the hard drive after 15 minutes or so of inactivity. As for Windows crashing if left sitting too long: I've never had that problem and my system stays up for weeks at a time.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm still a little confused - does my PC need to be on to use this type application - it would seem so. So I decide to go on vacation for a week - do I need to leave my PC on while I'm away in order to view my Desktop on my iPad. Dollars to donuts that Windows will freeze/crash while I'm away - them I'm SOL right?

I never turn off my macs,

Mikeb41g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, am I confused.

I have been running Log Me In and was reasonably happy. I just changed positions and have new computer which I was going to install log me in next week.

After. Readiing this thread I am totally confused - tooo many products bein promoted.

hELP

Mike

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
does splashtop or jump work on 3G?

Splashtop works on 3G, but I think you have to configure your router to accept it. I say think because I did add it to my router's acceptable program list, but I'm not certain I had to, based on other posts.

I can also confirm as of today that it works with Clear's 4G iSpot. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts