What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evidence of problem using Safari.

louisp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although several members kindly recommended I install a different browser to solve my Safari problems. IMO iPad owners should be able to access all normal web content and complete forms and the such using the supplied iPad Safari browser. Accepting less from Apple is akin to buying and automobile and being forced to accept is has no steering wheel. I am an individual who expects what I purchase to operate as advertised. Sorry for the rant.

Evidence
Using my iPad I cannot see photos on the top portion of the main page of WorldPhotographers.com. Please go to main page of
worldphotographers.Ning.com to determine if you see the images situated in the center column under the word "Photos"

Sorry for no direct link. Even after 3 posts this forum will not allow me to paste a link! :((

I look forward to your letters.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although several members kindly recommended I install a different browser to solve my Safari problems. IMO iPad owners should be able to access all normal web content and complete forms and the such using the supplied iPad Safari browser. Accepting less from Apple is akin to buying and automobile and being forced to accept is has no steering wheel. I am an individual who expects what I purchase to operate as advertised. Sorry for the rant.

Evidence
Using my iPad I cannot see photos on the top portion of the main page of WorldPhotographers.com. Please go to main page of
worldphotographers.Ning.com to determine if you see the images situated in the center column under the word "Photos"

Sorry for no direct link. Even after 3 posts this forum will not allow me to paste a link! :((

I look forward to your letters.

I went to this web site with my iPad1 and I can see the photos under "Photos" with no problem at all.....so try this fix......

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I went to this web site with my iPad1 and I can see the photos under "Photos" with no problem at all.....so try this fix......

I am pretty sure, you are talking about a different Photo here, because the iPad cannot display the slideshow, which OP is referring to. When you go to the website, there are two Photos, a) the Photos link from the top menu bar, b) there is a box right below the menu bar labelled Photos.
Now a) works, but b) doesn't.

However, this is not Apple's fault, but rather the website developers, because they implemented a non-standard slideshow format which only the Internet Explorer can play. If you open the same website with Chrome, Firefox etc. you will notice, that those can't display the slideshow either.

Conclusion: Safari works fine, but it does follow the HTML standard, if some website developer chooses to not follow that standard, than Safari can't play that content, but it certainly isn't Safari's fault for following a standard. After all the HTML standard is used, so that websites can work on all browsers.

Last edited:

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you've started a new thread, did you post a thread about accessing web forms and pictures missing? If so it might have been best to stick to that thread.

On going to the site you mention I found there are no pictures unless you click the view pictures link at the bottom right of the pane you describe which takes you to another page, both using Safari and Atomic browsers gives the same result, this is I believe down to Adobe Flash as I can view pictures on my Acer laptop, I indicated in the other thread this may happen on various sites as Apple don't support Flash in their browsers, this is well known and without a doubt a bone of contention with a lot of users.

At this time you just have to live with it as it isn't going to change until/if web sites change to the new HTML5 standard.There are some browser apps that allow Flash content to be viewed on the iPad iSwifter being one, search for it on the app store theres a free trial, which works on the site you mention, I however find they can be a little clunky.

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Now this is interesting. The Photoslideshow works on the iPad when using iSwifter, which uses an older Firefox version on a Linux system. On a windows computer, the slideshow works with Internet Explorer and Safari 5 and I also got it working with Firefox 3.6 (previously a plug-in had prevented the playback). But the slideshow doesn't work on Google Chrome.

And some experimenting shows that the Shockwave Flash plugin is required to show the slideshow. So the slideshow seems to be using flash, which will not work directly on the iPad.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I myself wish the whole Flash debacle didn't exist, I'm no supporter of it to be honest, it's caused me problems on occasions with various versions of windows in the past. It's just a pain in the butt when people can't access parts of websites without it... HTML5, Flash or Silverlight. Someone just pick a standard, I don't care which, and stick to it.

No matter what the Apple spin doctors say about Flash being dead, those less techy iPad buyers are destained to keep posting here asking why this or that picture/video file won't play on their new device proves the problem exists.

I bought the iPad knowing the pitfalls involved with browsing without Flash but new non techie buyers should be better informed that Internet browsing may be limited on various sites due to a lack of Flash support. Something that is constantly missing from iPad TV adverts for some reason.

Reaction score
Perhaps a sticky would help?
Something akin to " if ____ doesn't work on your browser it may be because the native Safari browser does not support Flash. Maybe add in links to threads about browsers that work with Flash then lock it so no flame wars as to the dead horse of Flash not working on iPads can be headed off before they start?
I've seen plenty of posters upset about Flash not working and they never end well.
I wouldn't use the analogy of no steering wheel on a new car as much as I would use " buying a car with a governor that allows you to do the just the speed limit on the highway"
When I got my iPad I knew it didn't support Flash but didn't realize how many sites I normally use that were affected by this.
I have since found Puffin and Iswifter that allow Flash usage, complete with its short comings. just like petroleum based fuels in my automobile, using Flash is still needed for now, though I'm no fan of it. I found this morning that Photobucket website requires Flash to upload while trying new features on icab browser BUT I never need to use the website on my iPad or phone because the app is available, free and works better than the website anyway.
I happen to like the challenges of finding a work around but i don't believe everyone feels the same or should just because I do.
For those who don't want the frustration of finding a work around for their browser I suggest a sticky to inform them the limitation is there and suggest some work arounds for them until the standard is made and the lazy developers who use Flash as a shortcut to real development come around.
Just my .02 and not meant tom offend anyone.
If anyone is offended I apologize in advance as it's not meant as a cut but a suggestion.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

OP
L

louisp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Perhaps a sticky would help?
Something akin to " if ____ doesn't work on your browser it may be because the native Safari browser does not support Flash. Maybe add in links to threads about browsers that work with Flash then lock it so no flame wars as to the dead horse of Flash not working on iPads can be headed off before they start?
I've seen plenty of posters upset about Flash not working and they never end well.
I wouldn't use the analogy of no steering wheel on a new car as much as I would use " buying a car with a governor that allows you to do the just the speed limit on the highway"
When I got my iPad I knew it didn't support Flash but didn't realize how many sites I normally use that were affected by this.
I have since found Puffin and Iswifter that allow Flash usage, complete with its short comings. just like petroleum based fuels in my automobile, using Flash is still needed for now, though I'm no fan of it. I found this morning that Photobucket website requires Flash to upload while trying new features on icab browser BUT I never need to use the website on my iPad or phone because the app is available, free and works better than the website anyway.
I happen to like the challenges of finding a work around but i don't believe everyone feels the same or should just because I do.
For those who don't want the frustration of finding a work around for their browser I suggest a sticky to inform them the limitation is there and suggest some work arounds for them until the standard is made and the lazy developers who use Flash as a shortcut to real development come around.
Just my .02 and not meant tom offend anyone.
If anyone is offended I apologize in advance as it's not meant as a cut but a suggestion.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Thank you for your open and honest post. For many years I was an ace at finding solutions for all manner of issues. As my cognitive health has declined my ability and desire to ferret out work arounds has also waned. Before purchasing this iPad I had no idea about flash related limitations. I think a sticky is an excellent idea.

As a 20 year military veteran ('72-'92) I sincerely ask everyone support our troops, especially our aged and new wounded warriors.

Louis
A proud patriot

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, a sticky would perhaps help new iPad users considerably, and avoid the "here we go again posts" that generally follow.

Most reactions

Latest posts