What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Epic Citadel Unreal Engine 3 Demo Now Available as Free Download in App Store

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

One of the highlights of Apple’s mega eventful media shindig today in San Francisco was a demonstration of Game Center using the forthcoming Epic Games RPG adventure, codenamed “Project Swordâ€, which was presented by Epic Games President, Dr. Mike Capps. The incredible demo was powered by Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine 3, and now you can also download a little taster of that awesome graphical goodness yourself in the shape of Epic Citadel, which is an application inspired by Project Sword that shows off the technical capabilities of the Unreal Engine 3 on iOS devices. As you can imagine, the demo is at its most jawdropping on the iPad, so grab it right now from the iPad App store here, and either have a wander round the town in Explore mode or marvel at the Guided Tour automatic demo. I honestly can’t believe that this sort of technology is now available on a handheld device. Here’s Dr Mike Capps waxing lyrical about the demo:
“This is a testament to the sheer power of iOS devices as up until now, Unreal Engine 3 has typically been used to create high-end gaming experiences on game consoles and computers. And we’re not just keeping it to ourselves. We're putting Unreal Engine 3 technology into the hands of game developers all over the world, and we can't wait to see the apps they make next.â€

Source: Epic Games, Engadget

EZ-BAKED

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not much to do in the demo but it looks like it will be a really nice game . Defiantly going to pick it up once it's out and see what it's all about.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazing - a must download, if only to show what's possible to achieve. :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get an unable to download error everytime I try to install it.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You definitely need to keep trying. This thing is amazing. Its great to just sit with it and get away tomanother place. Like a virtual vacation. It really draws you in.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You definitely need to keep trying. This thing is amazing. Its great to just sit with it and get away tomanother place. Like a virtual vacation. It really draws you in.

Does it require an updated OS or something? I still have 3.2 and don't plan on updating until 4.2

saiyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For a demo without game logic or objects to interact with, I am bit disappointed that the graphics does not achieve 60 FPS. Graphics feels like around 25 to 35 FPS depending on the scene and that gives me headache. Just imagine how slow the graphics would be with full game logic and objects. I hope Epic can optimize the graphics engine further.

Most reactions