What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails using @ me.com

jelbbaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am now using iCloud, and am realizing that I am unable to send email to some addresses. The server is unable to relay messages.
Has anyone had this challenge?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you talk about 'relaying messages' can you be more specific? Are you using SMTP with SSL as the sending email protocol? me.com will not accept relayed messages using non-secure SMTP on port 25. It requires the use of SSL on port 465.

Tim

OP
J

jelbbaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure how to figure out the settings you mentioned below. I did not do anything special to set up @me.com on the iPad. I think the iPad just made the settings. I never had this challenge on the computer.

OP
J

jelbbaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is the error message...
Cannot send mail. A copy has been placed in your outbox. It was rejected by the server as it does not allow relaying.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - this is the Port 25 relay problem. You will need to edit your email settings so that SSL (a secure way of sending emails) is enabled. The problem is that most service providers won't allow non-secure email to be sent because it would be easy to impersonate someone as the non-secure email protocol does not require a password to send email.

So edit your email settings and - in the SMTP field - turn on the SSL setting. You'll have to fill in a user name - your email address - and your normal email password. The port number should automatically default to 465.

It may take a while to get this working, so you need a little patience.

Tim

Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - this is the Port 25 relay problem. You will need to edit your email settings so that SSL (a secure way of sending emails) is enabled. The problem is that most service providers won't allow non-secure email to be sent because it would be easy to impersonate someone as the non-secure email protocol does not require a password to send email.

So edit your email settings and - in the SMTP field - turn on the SSL setting. You'll have to fill in a user name - your email address - and your normal email password. The port number should automatically default to 465.

It may take a while to get this working, so you need a little patience.

Tim

Thanks for this - it fixed the problem instantly and I had been struggling with this for a while!

Most reactions

Latest posts