What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email Program / PDF Viewing problems

Gadgetman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found that if I receive an email with PDF's attached, the iPad Email program on shows the first page of the PDF and the attachment is lost. The work-around is to receive the attached PDF to your email (hotmail, gmail) and then use the Web browser (Safari) to check your email. This works for the time being. Does anyone know when the email program in the iPad will be fixed?

Gadgetman

pauld-mbmh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDF conversion and fowarding issue

Ok lets see if I can get more specific.

We have 2 new IPads and they both are doing the same thing, and I have narrowed it down a bit.

The issue comes in, when you recieve an email on the IPad that has a 1 page PDF file, the Ipad automatically converts that 1 page into an image for you, so you can see it easily. There is no problems there, that works great, the problem comes in when you need to foward that email, with PDF attachment to someone else. When the other person recieves the email, the PDF is not an attachment anymore, just a text refernce <job1234.pdf> thing, and a blank small white picture box with red X in it. No PDF file, no attachment, nothing... Something was lost in the conversion and the sending the email back out.

More into it, it only does this with 1 page PDFs, if the PDF is 2 or more pages long, the IPad does not auto convert it, and it is just a attachment link you have to click on, which makes the IPad open the PDF viewer app that is built in, thus no conversion, and those files you can foward with no problems.

Another thing... if the email has a 1 page PDF and any other attachment file, like .doc or .jpg, or anything other than another PDF then when the fowarder gets the email is does have all the docs, including the 1 page PDF, and some new .htm files, that came from the conversion process.

The real problem here, is that there is no option to turn off that automatic conversion thing it is doing, so while we can view and see the 1 page PDF no problem, we cannot send it out of the IPad, it is forever converted and stuck that way on the IPad.

Apple... Please fix this!!!

robdev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone managed to solve this problem. You have explained it perfectly as I am experiencing the same

rmart73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok i just tried your problem and im not having an issue with pdf's or word docs. doesnt matter how many pages are on it. maybe it was fixed in an update....

KJTVH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having a similar, but not exact problem! When I get an email with a pdf attached, instead of the attachment I get a "?" icon. Nothing happens when I tap on this icon, nothing happens -- no options to open, etc. Prior to the last three days, I did not have this problem. I tried uninstalling the one maze game app that I had installed during this time, but that did not solve the issue! I tried resetting the iPad, still no solution. Any ideas?!

ScottyB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a different problem with PDFs. I recently emailed myself several large PDFs (~8MB). When I launched them, they were blank. I also tried launching them in iBooks, same result, but in there they were given a new title - "Flash". After a while of trying these, I crashed Mail, and had to restart. I have since emailed a small PDF, no problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks heaps!
Scotty

renafromab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we are having problems with our work iPads. when we do spreadsheets in numbers on our iPads it looks good all on one page prints out nice, but then we email as pdf to our pc's(all MacBooks) and we get 4 pages all mixed up. Can anyone help me with this?
Not sure if I am in the right place for this as I am a real noob to iPad, if not please send me in the right direction for answers
Thanks

rmart73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we are having problems with our work iPads. when we do spreadsheets in numbers on our iPads it looks good all on one page prints out nice, but then we email as pdf to our pc's(all MacBooks) and we get 4 pages all mixed up. Can anyone help me with this?
Not sure if I am in the right place for this as I am a real noob to iPad, if not please send me in the right direction for answers
Thanks

Wow, didn't know anyone was using this feed anymore. Maybe i can help, I reproduced your problem I have a large xcel file that i imported to Numbers on my iPad and then emailed it to myself as a PDF. And I see your issue, you have to remember when you send things in PDF format its like printing them out on regular paper. Any tabs that you created in the spreadsheet will be printed on a different sheet. Why not just get Numbers for your Macs and just use that to print your spreadsheets? PDF's don't have the same type of formatting that spreadsheets do. Hope this helps.

G

Grytpype

I just noticed this thread - shows the benefit of having a good and descriptive thread title to attract readers.

I've been having a similar problem, but a rather more specific one concerning emailing PDF files using the GoodReader app.

I started a thread here, and twerppoet has been very helpful with his suggestions. It may help you too.

davidwhy4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All, Am frustrated with Mail and PDF files. I have been opening PDF files by holding my finger on the displayed PDF file in the body of the e-mail. This should bring up a screen with save options etc. However now when I hold my finger on the document a magnifying glass displays and I cannot open the file. Then I tried to open a PDF file which had a pdf dialog box displayed at the bottom of the e-mail. Now I have a grey coloured screen and cannot access my mail. What is going on???? Help!

Most reactions

Latest posts