What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb question about streaming

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With iOS 5, will we be able to stream our music directly from iTunes onto our iPads? If so, I have a 16GB iPad with 70+ GB of music. Would streaming take up storage space or would I be able to stream my library?

I don't know if this is in the right forum or if I even worded it right. It's 12:20am and I'm really tired. I apologize. :p

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You can stream from itunes on PC/MAC with wifi now via homesharing, you don't need ios5.

Presumably your talking about itunes in the cloud? itunes in the cloud is not a streaming service, it allows you to redownload your songs from the cloud, anywhere you have an internet connection. So you will have access to all 70Gb of your music, but you will have to pick and choose what you want to download.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
However, they did use the phrase "stream your music" several times at the press event when talking about the $25 dollar iTunes Match service. Doubt it was a slip of the tongue.

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
You can stream from itunes on PC/MAC with wifi now via homesharing, you don't need ios5.

Presumably your talking about itunes in the cloud? itunes in the cloud is not a streaming service, it allows you to redownload your songs from the cloud, anywhere you have an internet connection. So you will have access to all 70Gb of your music, but you will have to pick and choose what you want to download.

I was referring to the cloud, I'm guessing. I saw them mention it in the installation window when I was installing iTunes 10.5.

How can you stream now though?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Switch homesharing on, in both itunes on your pc/mac and your ipad and provided they are on the same wifi network you should be able to see your itunes library in your ipod app on the ipad. You will need to press the home icon in the ipod app to select the library.

OP
GoPackGo

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, same Wifi network. Okay. Does that $25 feature someone listed above mean you could stream if your laptop and iPad were in two different locations? Just curious.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
Oh, same Wifi network. Okay. Does that $25 feature someone listed above mean you could stream if your laptop and iPad were in two different locations? Just curious.

If iTunes Match does allow streaming ( it's all supposition on my part) it will be via the internet (cloud), not your laptop.

Most reactions