What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Streaming

Anth040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, my girlfriend bought me a surprise Ipad 4 16gb, problem is storage seems to be a big problem I synced my 13.8 gb of photos to it and realized I have little room for anything else. So I bought a app called airplayer to stream my movies from my xbmc server which works extremely well. But im wondering is there a way to stream my music collection and photos also to save my precious space ive seen threads about adding drives to routers but I already have a 8 tb media server running so don't really want another hard drive running.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello, my girlfriend bought me a surprise Ipad 4 16gb, problem is storage seems to be a big problem I synced my 13.8 gb of photos to it and realized I have little room for anything else. So I bought a app called airplayer to stream my movies from my xbmc server which works extremely well. But im wondering is there a way to stream my music collection and photos also to save my precious space ive seen threads about adding drives to routers but I already have a 8 tb media server running so don't really want another hard drive running.

Just one of many options.....
Apple iCloud:
5GB free with options for up to 50GB

(If you want a lot of local content you may think about upgrading your iPad within the 14 day return period for larger unit, 32GB or 64GB.......no questions asked)

Apple - iCloud - All your content on all your devices.

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

Anth040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't really want to pay for extra storage when I have more than enough in my own home if I took it back I would of got the nexus 10 but its past 14 days, ipad looks nice feels nice but its a pain to do simple things with like network my content with one app?

The only thing I could do that with was jailbreak then install xbmc which is impossible at the moment. I don't know ipad very well so is there an app similar to xbmc that works on ipad?

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Using "home sharing" on your computer's iTunes and on your iPad lets you stream music and movies to your iPad while on your home network. That way you don't have to copy it all to your iPad.

OP
A

Anth040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using "home sharing" on your computer's iTunes and on your iPad lets you stream music and movies to your iPad while on your home network. That way you don't have to copy it all to your iPad.
I tried this but only around 40 of 1000 movies showed they must have to be in some apple format. Music and videos I've got streaming with AirPlay now just the photos which may be a little harder unless I pay for extra cloud storage.

Why so much drm on these things.....? Piracy? Wish they opened it up a bit.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are various ways to do this....iTunes server already mentioned is what I would do first, probably...home sharing...

Then there are various tools like file explorers (I use file explorer), that will see your network shares...and of course their are personal cloud solutions....I'm surprised your media server doesn't offer an app to make it visible to your idevices. I use a pogoplug series 4 and have 1tb of personal cloud....and I have all of my music on it and my video rips....and I can access it on my iPads and both of my android tablets (nexus 7 and nexus 10). There are several other cloud solutions, too. We have a subforum devoted to this.

Not sure why you assume it is easier to do this on android than on iOS.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried this but only around 40 of 1000 movies showed they must have to be in some apple format. Music and videos I've got streaming with AirPlay now just the photos which may be a little harder unless I pay for extra cloud storage.

Why so much drm on these things.....? Piracy? Wish they opened it up a bit.

There are various media players which extend the formats that play. Get the nexus 10 and you can't play jack as it only comes stock with a player for google play movies. On iOS, get AVPlayeHD to open up more formats. There are several other players, too.

Apple doesn't have anything to do with drm. They don't need to open up on that because they have nothing to do with that.

OP
A

Anth040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really then why do I have to use iTunes to stick anything on it, never said nexus 10 came with streaming movie players etc. if I had it though like I said I would of put xbmc for photos video music and movies with in the one app no conversion just simple and easy. Which you can not do with the ipad because of the limitation of it not been jail broken.

Thanks for your reply just finding it harder than android possibly because I've had less experience with it.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anth040 said:
Really then why do I have to use iTunes to stick anything on it, never said nexus 10 came with streaming movie players etc. if I had it though like I said I would of put xbmc for photos video music and movies with in the one app no conversion just simple and easy. Which you can not do with the ipad because of the limitation of it not been jail broken.

Thanks for your reply just finding it harder than android possibly because I've had less experience with it.

Anth040,
The streaming will only work when you are on the same network as your computer with iTunes. As long as my local area network is working I can get to my music and videos. I am surprised to find out how easy it was to set up and how well it worked when playing a video. It haven't tested it with a feature length movie, yet.
Thanks for the mention of xbmc. I want to check that one out, too.

Most reactions

Latest posts