What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox ( again)

capers1962

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and this is my second post, the first in the welcome area ... I am completely new to iPad usage and it's little secrets!
My issue is with opening .xlsx file on my iPad from a shared file stored within Dropbox.
If I use the Dropbox app, the file can be seen to download, but then it doesn't open.
If I use docs to go, the file will open, but I lose a lot of the formatting and I can't use the look-up options within the spreadsheet.
If I use the excel app, I can't navigate to the share folder.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me please?

P.s how do I do a screen shot?

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To take a screenshot, press the power button and the home button simultaneously. You should see the screen flash and the screenshot should be available via the Photos app.

Some info regarding the .xlsx file extension (for anyone who is unaware):
XLSX is a file extension for an open XML spreadsheet file format used by Microsoft Excel. Microsoft introduced the open XML standard to Microsoft Office in 2007 after a push from business users who saw the value in an open file format for transferring data between applications and other areas of working with the files.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
.xlsx files should be viewable in DropBox, but maybe not if they are really big.

From what you've said, I'm guessing you have Microsoft Excel for the iPad installed?

If so, go to the DropBox app, select your file and wait for it to download. Once downloaded tap the share icon (box with up arrow at top right) and choose Open In...

You should get an Open In Excel option, with the Excel app's icon showing. Tap this and a copy of the file will open in the Excel app. It is view only unless you've activated it with and Office 365 subscription.

You should be able to do the same with any Office compatible app; though as you noted with Documents to Go not all features are available in every app. Microsoft's Excel app is by far the most compatible, for obvious reasons.

Most reactions