What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading photos from PC to ipad

gfkw47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Transferring pics

Here's the process. Attach your ipad to your computer. Itunes should launch. If it doesn't launch automatically, then launch it yourself. Same process Mac or Windows. When it comes up click on your ipad icon in the left column. When you do it will show a picture of it, it's software level and when it will check for a new release. There will be tabs across the top of that box. If I remember without looking photos will be the last tab. Whichever one it is, click on it. There you will have the options of how to handle your photos. You can click on sync all or select only specific folders. At this point it's your choice. Remember when you say all photos, it will sync ALL PHOTOS. That could be thousands if you are a prolific photographer. I suggest try a folder or two to get the feel of it. If you pic a folder with sub folders, each sub folder will be brought in as an individual stack or folder. Ipad doesn't support nested folders yet. Click on apply after you choose the folders you want. Those folders will be synced to your ipad and installed there on your next sync and will keep those photos on your ipad as long as you have them checked here. You can uncheck them at any time, but then they will be removed from the ipad. When you are comfortable that they are there and how you want them, you can check all the other folders you want. Please note that the pictures will be optimized for the ipad as they are loaded and it can take a little while depending upon the speed of your computer and number of photos you choose. Good luck, the process is much faster and easier to do and not nearly as complex as it may seem from this lengthy description.
Hi, I tried this but when I got to clicking 'apply' a message appears saying "Are you sure you want to remove 5 apps including Celcious2 from iPad etc.etc. What is that about -makes no sense to me t all.

Lincolnlogs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Transfering Photo Files from Imac to Ipad

Hi folks,
Just got the Ipad! I tried to follow the directions herein, but don't seem to be able to get off square one! :) I put all my photo files in a separate folder to be downloaded to my new Ipad. I connected to the Ipad from my IMAC and clicked on Itunes to bring it up. It goes directly to the Itunes store and does not allow me (or at least I can't find the button) to access syncing. I thought I was doing this just between my Imac and Ipad, but I finally realized that I am using precious data time since I have data connection enabled. I turned off the data connection, and now, of course, is sez I can't access the Itunes store. Well, I don't want to access the store. Can't I just download the photo files from my Imac without the cellular connection?

Lincoln

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I more use the windows version if iTunes, but I believe the Mac version is similar in this regard.

Along the left is your list of favorites, playlists, and devices. With the iPad connected to your computer, you should see a little "ipad" (or whatever name you gave it) in your device list. If you click on that, you should be able to access your sync settings, including your photo sync folder location. I don't believe you need a data connection to do this.

As another has reminded us (at least in windows), you can also access the DCIM folder on your usb-connected iPad with windows explorer. I assume the same can be done with your Mac finder window. If so, you could also drag-and-drop your pictures into this folder.

Lincolnlogs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I more use the windows version if iTunes, but I believe the Mac version is similar in this regard.

Along the left is your list of favorites, playlists, and devices. With the iPad connected to your computer, you should see a little "ipad" (or whatever name you gave it) in your device list. If you click on that, you should be able to access your sync settings, including your photo sync folder location. I don't believe you need a data connection to do this.

As another has reminded us (at least in windows), you can also access the DCIM folder on your usb-connected iPad with windows explorer. I assume the same can be done with your Mac finder window. If so, you could also drag-and-drop your pictures into this folder.

OberkC,
Thanks for the reply. As a new guy, it was not obvious that the Ipad device was not on the Ipad, but rather on my Imac. I have been able to download images. Thanks,

Lincoln

InHaliburton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I' have transferred photos to the iPad from my camera and now want to dlete them fom the iPaqd. How do I do that?

Remove or move the photos from the folder on your PC. Then, "sync" as you did to put them on the iPad. Whatever is in that folder will end up on the iPad. If it's empty, it will remove or "empty" the pics from the iPad.

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An alternative (plus advantages) to load photos from pc/mac to ipad: install the free EvereaderPro app in ipad, then use iTunes sync via file sharing to load photo files to the app in ipad. Advantages: 1. can load/transfer different types of file including MS office doc, text, even video etc. 2. it's a file reader/viewer plus some simple file creater (e.g., text file) 3. it has basic file management function (can delete files or create folders) 4. (the best one) it has double file protection: use password/passcode to lock both/either the app and/or the built-in "private" folder. (of course you may not use either protection if you don't need privacy) Once files are transferred to the app, they will stay there until are deleted in ipad. No need to store them in pc/mac, icloud, or dropbox.

EdithTorino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To transfer photos from your computer to your iPad, you need to have iTunes installed on your PC.
Connect your iPad to the computer with the data cable. Launch iTunes, and click on the iPad icon from under Devices. Click on the Photos tab, and check the box "Synch photos from." Click "Choose folder" from the drop-down menu, and select your picture folder.
Now that the folder is on iTunes, you can select the photos you want to transfer to your iPad, or transfer them all.
Finally, click the Synch/Apply button at the bottom right of the page. The pictures will transfer to your computer. Another option is to buy a photo transfer app for the iPad, which enables Wi-Fi photo transfers.

Most reactions

Latest posts