What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does iPad have a solid state HD?

Craigatcsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We do a lot of cross country touring on our Motorcycle. Because of the vibration, I worry about our iPad. I toasted a laptop this past Fall, the vibration killed the HD. A solid state HD would not be affected by this.

Does the iPad have a solid state HD?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad memory is soldered to the board... So in a way it's a SS drive. It won't be bothered by vibration like conventional drives.;)

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course that doesn't mean vibrations won't harm it. I'd put it in a good carrying case with impact absorbing foam.

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It certainly shouldn't suffer any more than having as cellphone on your ride... it's the same technology.

Cheers,

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solid State...Flash Memory......it is the EXACT SAME THING.

So the answer to your question is yes it has a SSD built in.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, not really, to say it has a SSD (Solid State DRIVE) is incorrect, because it has no hard drive. It's flash memory chips, like someone said above, are a part of the main board, not a separate device.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget the new MB Air has no moving HD either--and not much bigger than iPad. And of course a lot of other laptops offer that now too.

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like that new MacBook Air, it's got instant on that works just as quickly as the iPad. The only things keeping me from buying it are the lack of backlit keyboard and the battery life. I could get an entry level 13" MacBook Pro for the same price, and then spend $200 upgrading to a 128GB SSD and end up with a more powerful machine and more battery life than the Air, and a backlit keyboard.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. And really the MB Pro is not all that big.

However, I have read that Apple's SSD is not all that great... So if I go with a MBP I will likely get it with regular HD then shop for a decent SSD at a good price. Maybe even ebay the included HD (I always say that and never do lol).

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, I will likely be buying a MacBook Pro in a couple months and upgrading it to a 128GB OCZ Vertex II SSD. It's the same one I have in my desktop and it's getting excellent reviews for speed, and only runs about $200.

I would buy a small non-powered USB enclosure to put the original hard drive in and carry it around with me. The 2.5" hard drive would be pretty easy to carry around.

Most reactions