What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know how to open PPT file on ipad?

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get the app CloudOn which will open power points.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your link goes to a Google Search result page, so I could not check out the problem first hand.

Other than purely cloud solutions like CloudOn (suggested by emm) and OnLive:

You need to first download an app that will open Power Point files. There are a number of these. Keynote (one of Apples iWorks apps) is popular. Other popular choices include QuickOffice, Office HD, Documents to Go, and Polaris Office.

Once you have these apps on the iPad you should be able to tap on a .ppt file in Safari and wait for it to download. Once downloaded it should display. If the options bar does is not showing at the top of the screen, tap int he center of the scree, then tap on Open In, or the box/arrow icon (depending on your iOS version).

The app you need to use will show up. Choose it and they file will be copied to that app.

If Safari does not recognize the file type, for whatever reason, it will not download it. a standard .ppt file should work. If not, then you can use a third party app like GoodReader. It has a built in browser that will let you download just about anything, though you will probably still have to copy/Open In another app to view and edit the file.

OP
E

elise loh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apps u recommended mostly r paid version.do u have any free version apps to recommend? Just asking..=)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Ok.

I went to the link in Safari. It takes a while, the file is largish, but the Power Point does download. At that point you are in what is called the Quick Look view. You can see the Power Point and even scroll down to see the slides; but it's not permanently saved anywhere.

As I said in my previous post, you need to download an app that will read PPT files. I use Keynote. I listed the other popular options earlier. If you don't need to edit the files there should be some Power Point readers in the App Store that will cost less.

To save it in whatever app you've choosen, tap in the center of the screen. A couple options should show up in the top right corner of the slide. One (for me) is Open in Keynote, because I have that app and the iPad considers it the default. The other just says Open In. Tapping that will show all apps that are registered with the iPad as compatible with the file type being displayed, along with some other save or share options. Tap the app you want and it should be copied and opened in that app. In the case of Keynote it also gets imported to the native keynote format.

SaveThePPT.png

The file failed to import to Keynote the first time I tried, but worked the second time. No idea why. A few minor things (font substitutions and transitions) were changed (you get a warning telling you what changed), but it otherwise looks fine; if you want to call 31 slides, some with really ugly pictures of teeth and gums fine.

I don't have CloudOn, so I can't give you a detailed description. I do know enough to point you in the right direction if that's what you want to do. The advantage is that it is 100% compatible, since it will use the Power Point app running on a remote server. The downside is that you have to have a good internet connection to use it, and the interface, while usable, isn't really designed for tablet use.

Most reactions