What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you prefer ebooks or paper/hardback and why?

Ebook or paper/Hardback

• Total voters

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As to the original poll, no option for "Both".

I get both ebooks and dead-tree books - we have nearly 56 shelf-meters of books in the house - ebooks for books that I'd like to be portable and have handy at all times, and dead-tree books for the pleasure of being able to hold one in the hand and turn the pages. (That, and the collectability of certain signed and/or first-editions.)

OP
TheX

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
As to the original poll, no option for "Both".

I get both ebooks and dead-tree books - we have nearly 56 shelf-meters of books in the house - ebooks for books that I'd like to be portable and have handy at all times, and dead-tree books for the pleasure of being able to hold one in the hand and turn the pages. (That, and the collectability of certain signed and/or first-editions.)

If I could I would fix it didn't think about people preferring both.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was ready to say both, which is still partly true, but before I got the iPad, I had been getting Kindle books on my netbook and iPhone and decided I wanted a dedicated e-reader. I was contemplating a Kindle device, and ended up getting the iPad as a nice early Xmas gift as I had wanted it to have it for other uses to. I like not having as many books lying around now, and even though the digital library selections are far from huge yet, I have already started to dabble there and have taken some ebooks on loan too.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, definitely e-books!

Only thing is I use an e-ink reader, instesd of the iPad. I have a Pocketbook 360 and I prefer it over the iPad because of the size and e-ink (no strain on my eyes for l-o-n-g reading sessions...

Between the two, I can usually be found using one or the other ... and since I purchased both in 2010, I consider that the best year evah! :D

Marilyn

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Borders and Angus & Robertson went bankrupt because their books were overpriced and their selection of titles went from diverse to lowbrow, and I know I'm not alone in saying this. I don't see that ebooks would have affected their overall sales because the volume of ebook sales is still in its growth phase in the Australian market, and nowhere near the straight losses they've incurred.

Yes I agree. Didn't say it was due only to ebooks but the market for ebooks in Australia has increased by over 10%. This would have a contribution but agree not the reason why they have gone bust. Like I said the books in Australia are horrifically over priced and you can import books from overseas at a considerably lower cost.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I agree. Didn't say it was due only to ebooks but the market for ebooks in Australia has increased by over 10%. This would have a contribution but agree not the reason why they have gone bust. Like I said the books in Australia are horrifically over priced and you can import books from overseas at a considerably lower cost.

Fully agree about the overpriced books - local publishers and booksellers need to reevaluate their business model, or risk ending up like Border/A&R.

The only two places I buy books over-the-counter these days are either at Sydney Kinokuniya, where they still have a decent selection at reasonable prices, or one of the many second-hand booksellers in the CBD area. Otherwise it's more likely I'll note the name/title, do a quick search on www.booko.com.au to find the best price, then order online.

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am surprised by how much I love reading e-books. Since getting my iPad six weeks ago, I've read five e-books including a couple monsters like King's 1,264 page long Under the Dome. I like being able to read in dim light and in bed, and the screen is wonderful. I've been using iBooks mainly, but I do have the Kindle and a couple other apps. I prefer the iBooks app, but wish they had a larger selection.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another great thing about the e-books version of books is that they have a dictionary available at the press of a finger. Loving the e-books fo sure!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mginzelk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About to purchase my iPad! Wondering how the iPad is working for you as an e reader in sunlight ... Hoping to be able to eliminate packing books in my suitcase when we travel!

Reaction score
iPadOhana said:
Another great thing about the e-books version of books is that they have a dictionary available at the press of a finger. Loving the e-books fo sure!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a very good point.

An inbuilt dictionary makes reading books in a foreign language much easier, or rather more understandable, as I find paperback dictionaries too much of a hassle to use. But with implemented dictionaries, I actually use them to find out the meaning of a specific word.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do love both. For reading, hands down ebooks but for art, photography books I prefer hsrdcover good paper ones. i have a houseful of books from before ebooks but now really prefer reading in one of the apps, mostly Kindle because of their selection and prices. I also read ebooks from our state digital library, have 2 right now. They need to expand their selection but they are adding each week so I can't ask for more in these lean times. I read thise in the Bluefire app, though there is now an Ipad Overdrive app. Ir I can't find a book in ebooks I have my library order it from somewhere in the state or lease it. My preference for ebooks is because of choices in backgrounds, font sizes, backlight for night reading, portability.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For fun reading e-books for sure. I like to be able to have my books with me for any spare moment I might have. But we have a lot of field guides, nature books and cookbooks. Those are most definitely dead tree books and the only type of book I like for those things.

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the e-books have good photography. I recently read a book by Douglas Brinkley on the history of Alaska & the e-book version had wonderful and numerous color insert photos.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The magazines via the Nook App are great too...Very good selection...Well priced and the pictures are crystal clear...So for me, e-books and e-mags are very addictive right now...

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
About to purchase my iPad! Wondering how the iPad is working for you as an e reader in sunlight ... Hoping to be able to eliminate packing books in my suitcase when we travel!

The iPad doesn't work well in sunlight, no matter the print setting (white on black, black on white, sepia). And polarized lenses making the display useless as well. Not an issue for me since I've never sat in direct sun to read, and file such behavior in my "people are weird" column.

You know what's a really cool word? Shade. Soothing, isn't it? Has the "sh" at the beginning that connotes restful quiet, that "ade" at the end reminding you of cool drinks in tall glasses. And really, isn't it the only reason to keep trees around? Great environment for an iPad, shade.

Most reactions