What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diamond Jubilee 2012

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why Richard, i didn't realise you had a thread on our Jubilee! I wondered how the pageant went? I'm on the iPad so will have to go on my iPhone as that has all the photos. My iCloud acc has run out of juice so no photo streaming at the moment!

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image-2719602363.jpg

Just after the downpour

image-678966914.jpg

This is at 3pm celebrating and drinking champagne to

image-4291483340.jpg

The queen and This is one of the marquees

The day was great apart from running to the marquees every time it rained. We had this on Sunday during the pageant. This is the local big farm from the village I used to live in. All the village arrived or so it seemed. We had to bring cakes and there was rounders, a trampoline, a "greasy' pole to hit each other off. Each marquee had loads of tables and chairs to eat under in case it rained. They were all situated in various places. 100 people maybe. The food was lovely, there was a hog roast with stuffing, apple sauce, salmon, trout, salads, etc... Loads of cake and tea and cheese and biscuits.... Yes, wonderful day. I met a few people I hadn't seen in years. Some ex students of mine as well. Huge place though. The wife of the owner came from New Jersey. Hell of an accent!

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF

Last edited:
OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The river pageant was fab. We were very lucky in that the rain held off till the closing stages of the procession passed Tate Modern.

My vantage point was very good.

I hope we get to see the work of the artists on the Millennium Bridge. I expect Tate Modern will exhibit the artwork.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I loved the concert, I loved the St Paul's ceremony and the carriages and royal guards. The horses were gorgeous. So shiny. I can't remember my boy being so shiny but then he's white and black so it's harder to do. The black bits shine. Those soldiers said it took them hours to clean the horses and shine their saddles and bridles. What a fantastic day for them. They were saying that some of these boys hadn't been near a horse in their life and they go on a 14 week course teaching them to ride, jump and then do it with full regalia on as well. One chap said his horse was 4! Wow! That horse must be super calm to be trusted to go into all this pageantry. I loved the horses of the queen and horses from all round the world which took place at Windsor Castle. The russian riders are my favourite. They were at Olympia when I used to go see the show jumping at Christmas. They are absolutely mental. Imagine at full gallop, going round the body of your horse, underneath as well! Try doing that at the small arena of Olympia, at least at the Windsor grounds, they had a larger area.
I absolutely loved this weekend. I can't remember enjoying the Golden Jubilee this much! May she live at least 10 more years. God save the Queen. Thank goodness Prince Philip is alright. She'd be lost without him. I see Prince William is now a Sea king Captain. I hope he carries on with his search and rescue job for a few more years and doesn't get roped into doing too much royal meeting and greeting. Such a worthwhile job and will keep people focused on giving to the search and rescue teams who rely very much on charity.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Hayles.

Your memories and impressions of the Jubilee are super. I must post some jottings. We loved it all, seeing history being made (excuse grammar!).

Your love of horses, and the fabulous horse displays reminded me how, years ago, we went to an artillery show at Woolwich. We sat on the grass around a fenced off square. We were right by the fencing, and watched the artillerymen and their horses put on a display. The gun teams charged around the square, crossing over at the centre and pulling into turns less than 10 feet away from us! Wow!

Back to the River Pageant. I loved the War Horse cameo played out on the roof of the National Theatre. :)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I missed that as I was at the jubilee party. There was a massive tv inside but the whole point of the party was outside so a bit pointless for me to be indoors but the elder villagers loved it. Warmer and drier!

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I missed that as I was at the jubilee party. There was a massive tv inside but the whole point of the party was outside so a bit pointless for me to be indoors but the elder villagers loved it. Warmer and drier!

It would be worth checking out the BBC iPlayer. There was a River Pageant highlights show which featured Joey the horse puppet. ;)

Most reactions