What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diagnostics and Data.....crap!

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all , hope everyone had a decent weekend.
Not that I do not understand the importance of Data, and Diagnostics, and with this said, it is important in any technical applications , devices, and/or apparatuses, for feedback to better the fluid , smoother operations of these device's with less conflict and
troubleshooting hassle's for the user . However, there is this question that I do not understand ,and for my more wise men / woman i Pad Einstein Zeus's , (compliment)
friends of mine on this forum , could enlighten me, so I know more about the approach
to take before I call Apple and tell those guys to take the day off.... And let me decide who should manage my device.
My Q. Is in the settings > privacy > Diagnostics usage data ,over the time has accumulate this monstrosity of a continuation of data ,much like the stupid energizer bunny it goes on and on and on , yall get the idea. You cannot delete any of this , and
It consumes space. Am I overlooking a way to delete some of this data that seems to be
In a chronological order from a year ago to date. And just how much if this is actually useful after it shows the problem and then a resolution ,yet 3gigs is left , its a far cry from 9gigs Hope this is a good question and it is relevant to a lot of others who may not know that this even exists . THANKS YALL .......no hurry .....I don't like calling down
there at Apple and getting the man to get it right . It's a burden one must carry though
Ha ha ha huhuhuh

OP
A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Note to all on thread " Diagnostics Data.....crap"
I have failed to mention that I've tried to do a reset ,
And also I send to apple and know that Er thought that once it's sent
It would drop off. However this isn't the answer I'm hoping to gain.
In doing a TRUE RESET it doesn't affect the data .
I've even shut the I pad power switch on the screen as an alternative
Reset as well ...... Thanx

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it really take up much space? Each file would be very minimal in size, but I cannot see where it actually tells you how much. Is it something we should be overly worried about, space-wise?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try syncing your iPad, it should clear all the old diagnostic and usage data.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does it really take up much space? Each file would be very minimal in size, but I cannot see where it actually tells you how much. Is it something we should be overly worried about, space-wise?

Try syncing your iPad, it should clear all the old diagnostic and usage data.

The major decision w/ this feature is whether a user wants to send or not share the information w/ Apple and its developers (my setting is set to 'share') - plus, I agree w/ the above, i.e. little space is used on the iPad as long as device is being 'synced or backed up' - I backup my iPad Air 2 to the cloud and also manually to iTunes about twice a month - at the moment, I have only 2 weeks of data in 'Diagnostics & Usage', just not a concern.

For those interested, checkout This Discussion (a little dated, late 2013, so iOS changes relative to location of the information). Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
3GB seems excessive. I can see how you might see if some data has been retained for more than a year, but I don't see how you are coming up with the 3GB.

These are just text files, so it would take 1 year, or more, to create 3 GB of data.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The major decision w/ this feature is whether a user wants to send or not share the information w/ Apple and its developers (my setting is set to 'share') - plus, I agree w/ the above, i.e. little space is used on the iPad as long as device is being 'synced or backed up' - I backup my iPad Air 2 to the cloud and also manually to iTunes about twice a month - at the moment, I have only 2 weeks of data in 'Diagnostics & Usage', just not a concern.

For those interested, checkout This Discussion (a little dated, late 2013, so iOS changes relative to location of the information). Dave :)

I'm glad that I learned something new today!

OP
A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey twerppoet. Sorry to not respond to you and all, scifan , Giradman ,
dhewson , Ummm yes 3 g is a lot and i don't think that all that is being consumed by this but I'm curious and I still cannot get this info deleted . I tried to send to apple , meaning I turned on send to apple. I've tried all the resets clears restarts. , to no avail .any more suggestions and is it me , or am I not doing something correct. This has become annoying now and the fact is I Want something off my I pad that is preventing me from doing so and with that said it has overtaken the very idea of how much these files are consuming space. But I am curious and we will know how much is consumed by subtracting the total gigs I have now from what the totals will be after they are deleted. Now for some perspective. When I go to the data diagnostics and scroll through
And let's say that 1Page is equal to width of I pad as is shown , after
1 year I am approaching upward s 100 pages
THANK YOU GUYS ,

Twerppoet.,Sci, Girad, Dhew, Regards A. Goodwin

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are probably some jailbreak tools that would do the job, but that's outside my area of knowledge and interest.

There is this new tool: PhoneExpander

But:

1) It's a beta, so you take your chances
2) It's for the iPhone, so it may not work properly with the iPad
3) It does not specifically say what 'temporary' files it deletes. So it may not take care of diagnostic data.

You might be able to dig up more information that I did, after all I only took a casual look, out of curiosity. If it's not somewhere on their information pages, perhaps asking them directly will work.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, syncing the iPad with iTunes is supposed to remove the diagnostics data. I've never paid attention to this, TBH, so I don't know if it does or not. I also have my reporting to Apple part turned off (for what it's worth.

If you're jailbroken, there is a [free] tweak that'll clear this data for you: iCleaner. It'll do more than clean up the diagnostic data, but definitely it will work.

Source: I just ran iCleaner before typing this to make sure I was correct. :)

Marilyn

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey twerppoet. Sorry to not respond to you and all, scifan , Giradman ,
dhewson , Ummm yes 3 g is a lot and i don't think that all that is being consumed by this but I'm curious and I still cannot get this info deleted . I tried to send to apple , meaning I turned on send to apple. I've tried all the resets clears restarts. , to no avail .any more suggestions and is it me , or am I not doing something correct. This has become annoying now and the fact is I Want something off my I pad that is preventing me from doing so and with that said it has overtaken the very idea of how much these files are consuming space. But I am curious and we will know how much is consumed by subtracting the total gigs I have now from what the totals will be after they are deleted. Now for some perspective. When I go to the data diagnostics and scroll through
And let's say that 1Page is equal to width of I pad as is shown , after
1 year I am approaching upward s 100 pages
THANK YOU GUYS ,

Twerppoet.,Sci, Girad, Dhew, Regards A. Goodwin

But did you sync your device to itunes?

Most reactions