What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delivering an iPad 2 to my hotel

frigiliana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for this question but here goes . l am visiting new York in may and am hoping to buy a iPad 2 , a friend of mine said why don't you order it from Delaware where there is no sales tax and have it delivered to your hotel ready to pick up , i found a store called Christiana Mall that has an Apple store , do you consider this possible ? and is there any pit falls i should consider ?

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you contacted the Apple store in Delaware to determine if they will ship it to you in NYC?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for this question but here goes . l am visiting new York in may and am hoping to buy a iPad 2 , a friend of mine said why don't you order it from Delaware where there is no sales tax and have it delivered to your hotel ready to pick up , i found a store called Christiana Mall that has an Apple store , do you consider this possible ? and is there any pit falls i should consider ?

There are several issues to consider. As the previous poster suggested, you first need to contact the shop to determine if they will deliver, but most probably they will not. However, they might be prepared to reserve one for you to collect.

If you're purchasing the 3G version, be careful to get the AT&T model - which is GSM - and not the Verizon model, which is CDMA and only works in the US. Also, even the AT&T version needs to be initialised in the US before you return to Spain where, presumably, you'll be using a SIM from a Spanish carrier.

Also, although there is no Sales Tax in Delaware, remember to take into consideration the VAT and Import Duty that you'll be required to pay when you bring your iPad back to Spain. That can often cancel out any perceived advantage to purchasing the iPad overseas.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Delaware.

Tim
Scotland

OP
F

frigiliana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
l haven't contacted the store as they have a online ordering service with free shipping , i have taken the ordering process right through up to putting my credit card details in and there doesn't appear to be any sales tax added , they do say delivery 3 to 4 weeks but that's not a problem also we only want the basic wifi 16gb model , and as we're flying to and from the UK we shouldn't incur
any taxes as we are within our allowance i believe. as a new member i am not allowed to put a link in , but the store is in the apple Christiana Mall you can google it takes you to it

any thoughts ?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This should be OK if you're within your allowance - in the UK it's £250, I'm not sure of the duty free allowance into Spain. You might also need to make arrangements with the hotel so that, in the event the iPad arrives before you do and it needs signing for, they are aware of the situation and don't simply return the iPad to the store.

Tim
Scotland

OP
F

frigiliana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim this is the latest info on buying outside EU so i think i will be well inside my allowances .

"You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.

If you arrive by private plane or private boat for pleasure purposes, you can only bring in other goods worth up to £270 tax and duty free".

The last bit wont apply to me, so it's just down to if I've got the bottle to order it

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should also talk to the hotel (both the concierge and the bellhop's desk) to let them know that you are expecting a delivery. Usually, any deliveries will go to a backroom postal delivery area, and if one of the items is for a guest, it will be left at either concierge or bellhop, who will trace and inform the guest.

I had both an overnight delivery as well as an arranged courier pickup when I was in a downtown LA hotel last year, and letting the staff know avoids confusion or mix-ups. I ended up collecting my parcel from the bellhop, and also left an item with them for the pickup (which occured after I'd checked out.)

OP
F

frigiliana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be honest there are so many unknowns in what i thought might be straight forward , i think I'm just going to see if i can order it in advance and pick up at the apple store in Manhattan and just pay the tax . thanks for all your help though

Most reactions