What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Database

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am the president of a veterans organization. We have 300+ members and still growing. I am in need of a database where I can import a .csv file to. It also needs to be fairly simple to use, as I am getting on in age. Any help would be very much appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Pauley - your needs seem to be not too daunting so some of the iPad apps should serve your purpose - now, there are likely a number of options but I can only suggest a few that are on my iPad that may do for you?

Numbers - part of Apple's iWork suite - emulates Excel, i.e. a spreadsheet - a consideration if that format will suit your purposes?

Bento - an iPad app from FileMaker - a more specific database w/ plenty of templates, one of which might be just right for you? Check HERE for more information; both of these programs can be purchased at a modest price.

I'm sure others may have additional suggestions, but these are certainly a consideration - good luck in your choice! :)

jerzyshore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By far the best database for iPad that I know about actually has been around for years, indeed I have been using it since my Palm days. It is called HanDBase. It is a real relational database that is continually being worked on and supported by the developer. I cannot say enough good things about it.

JG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can not import directly to the iPad version of Bento. You need the Mac version (which is very nice). You import to it and then you can sync with the iPad.

Bento is probably one of the easiest databases to set up and use, and has plenty of tools (and templates); but it is a poor choice for important databases unless you can also get and use the OSX version.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Concerning Bento, I'd have to agree w/ TP about the lack of data backup unless one has a Mac and the specific program that will sync the information - in all honesty, I have hardly even used this iPad app because of this issue - purchased initially to be used as a recipe database (and there is a well done template), my wife & I were not about to spend 'hours' of our time entering her many recipes w/o the ability to back up the database - HO HUM!

Instead for the above purpose, I bought another app called Paprika which is specific for recipes - works marvelously and has its own backup function that can be saved to a computer w/o the need to own yet another program - :)

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your response. It's tough trying to figure out which app to get without trying it first. However, I think I am going to try the Numbers app. I think that will serve my needs.

Again, thanks so much for all the help.

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just thought I'd mention the fact that I did purchase the app Numbers, and man, did that fit the bill for me! What a powerful program... Thanks again for recommending it to me!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pauley said:
Just thought I'd mention the fact that I did purchase the app Numbers, and man, did that fit the bill for me! What a powerful program... Thanks again for recommending it to me!

Hi Pauley - glad that Numbers has been a good solution for you! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts