What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Currys , PC World to Stock iPad at Launch in the UK

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
currys52510.jpg

The Times Online has come up with a very interesting scoop today that should have that analyst who predicted that the iPad will have a slow start in the UK eating his words sooner rather than later. According to The Times, a leaked memo that was circulated among DSGi sales staff revealed confirmation that the DSGi group’s two main high street stores, Currys and PC World, will be stocking the iPad at launch. The Times goes on to say that DSGi is believed to have a 60-day exclusive period for selling the iPad (aside from Apple’s own stores, of course!). However, it mentions another rumour that Best Buy’s Thurrock superstore will also be stocking Apple’s device. The very revealing memo also apparently says that the retailer is expecting the iPad to launch just as strongly in the UK as it has in the US, but stated that it would not be opening its stores early to serve eager iPad fans.

This is overall great news for UK Apple customers, and ensures that the iPad will be sold right in the heart of the High Street in the UK from day one, although it remains to be seen how much stock each Currys and PC World will have considering the current shortages.

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
Source: Times Online

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great! To be honest, I'm even in favor of Wallmart. Please excuse the analogy, but the iPad is like bittorrent and Facebook: the more users there are, the better it gets.

Bear with me a second. Imagine if, say, 500 million iPads are sold. Will we be endlessly debating Flash then, or wondering when the iTunes will be able to sell TV shows internationally, when an app for Facebook will be available, or when 'that' website will be compatible? No! Because when the iPad is resting on every lap, and docked on every desk, everything will be focused on supporting the iPad as part of any successful media strategy or product launch!

Sure, some of the smug exclusivity will be gone, but that's not really what the iPad is about. - not at this price point.

The more the better.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think that the flash argument holds much water as the same could be said for the iPhone and that never happened.

It will be interesting to see if there are line sitters on the eve of the launch like there were in the U.S.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think that the flash argument holds much water as the same could be said for the iPhone and that never happened.

It will be interesting to see if there are line sitters on the eve of the launch like there were in the U.S.

Not having flash bothers me. Really. Every day I find some content that doesn't work because of it. That's my point. As it becomes issue with so many millions of users, people wouldn't code websites that way!

The more and faster and easier that Apple gets iPads into people's hands, the better the overall experience will be for us all.

I'm hoping for a blowout worldwide launch. The world is ready, the technology is there. Now is the time! And Apple was the first.

Most reactions