What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crashing

Weehop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad seems to be crashing out a lot since the latest OS came along. I always make sure unused aps are closed all the way, and I reboot (cold boot) quite often. You think Apple might be planning a fix for this? Facebook has not worked very well either

Califkate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad 1 is crashing big time. I think it's Apple making life miserable for us oldies. I didn't update 'cause of problems I've read about. Now I'm really upset because last night I lost all but 2 "notes" . I had a lot of piddly info stored there which I'm sorry to lose but I lost a running record of my granddaughter's firsts, my observations on her amazing memory, reading skills, etc. it just disappeared before my eyes. This AM I checked my iPad backup to see if it was there. Everything else is except "notes". Geez. But our old friend, the IPad 1, will just continue to get worse. I had hope it could be used by the grdaughter for reading, playing games but the future does not look bright for my first love, The IPad 1!!! What a way to treat good customers.

OP
W

Weehop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad. I'm using an IPad2. I haven't lost anything, but am considering taking a look at Microsoft's new, what is it, hybrid? Nice price, anyway.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My IPad seems to be crashing out a lot since the latest OS came along. I always make sure unused aps are closed all the way, and I reboot (cold boot) quite often. You think Apple might be planning a fix for this? Facebook has not worked very well either

Hello, first by a 'cold boot' do you mean a 'Reset' as described in the quote below? If not done as described (and held until the device starts to reboot w/ the Apple logo), then try again. Second, how did you 'upgrade' to iOS 7 - i.e. OTA (Over the Air) or cabled, and did all go well? Finally, are specific apps crashing or all of them? If just a handful of apps, then you may want to try and delete a few, reinstall them, and see if that helps? Just some initial thoughts - please post back - Dave :)

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
W

Weehop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For lack of a better term I called it a cold boot. Meaning that I held down the home button and the sleep button until it shut down, but not until the apple appeared. (Didn't know you could do that). Just until the screen was black. Then I pressed the sleep button until the apple appeared, and she booted back up.
When I did the update, I did it wirelessly (not plugged into anything). I do this at home, so it's operating through my router. I never take it anywhere.
Anyway, perhaps this is much ado about nothing because she seems to be better. Crashing only seems to happen now only when I do too much too fast.
I think it was Facebook that was having the problem..or so I heard. So thanks for your suggestions and concern.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For lack of a better term I called it a cold boot. Meaning that I held down the home button and the sleep button until it shut down, but not until the apple appeared. (Didn't know you could do that). Just until the screen was black. Then I pressed the sleep button until the apple appeared, and she booted back up.
When I did the update, I did it wirelessly (not plugged into anything). I do this at home, so it's operating through my router. I never take it anywhere.
Anyway, perhaps this is much ado about nothing because she seems to be better. Crashing only seems to happen now only when I do too much too fast.
I think it was Facebook that was having the problem..or so I heard. So thanks for your suggestions and concern.

Hi - well, it is called a 'Reset' - so please try again, i.e. hold down both buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release and wait for the reboot - let us know if this helps.

Also address my other questions concerning whether 'specific' apps are misbehaving, if so delete those and re-install them to see if the app(s) will now work w/o crashing - again, give those suggestions a try and post back to this thread. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
W

Weehop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Ok, did the re- set. No problems there. Glad to report there have been no crashes since yesterday. What was crashing mostly, though, was Facebook, and Perfect Web Browser. Some others randomly crashed, but everything is running smoothly now.
Thanks for all your help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi
Ok, did the re- set. No problems there. Glad to report there have been no crashes since yesterday. What was crashing mostly, though, was Facebook, and Perfect Web Browser. Some others randomly crashed, but everything is running smoothly now.
Thanks for all your help.

GREAT! Congrats and hope your iPad will be 'crash proof' for a while - Dave :)

Most reactions