What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash During 8.1.1 Download

TimmiAndi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to download the 8.1.1 update when the Apple logo and a progress bar appeared on screen. When it was almost finished, the bar stopped where it was until the battery ran out; pressing the on/off and the home buttons by themselves and together didn't work, and still doesn't.

What can I do?

OP
T

TimmiAndi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't access iTunes as my iPad is stuck on the download page.
The support page says "Restoring in recovery mode will erase your device." but surely there must be a recovery method that won't delete all my data?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The support page says "Restoring in recovery mode will erase your device." but surely there must be a recovery method that won't delete all my data?
I'm afraid not.

If your iPad is stuck, this should help you get it up to date and working again. If you have a recent backup, you can use it after restoring/updating it to get the information stored in that backup back to your device.

If recovery mode doesn't solve the problem, you might want to use this method:
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/t...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-ios.52863/

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm afraid not.

If your iPad is stuck, this should help you get it up to date and working again. If you have a recent backup, you can use it after restoring/updating it to get the information stored in that backup back to your device.

If recovery mode doesn't solve the problem, you might want to use this method:
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/t...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-ios.52863/
Both restoring through recovery mode and the method recommended by J.A. will erase the data on your device. If you have a backup of your device stored on your computer you can set up the restored iPad with the backup. Otherwise, unfortunately, you'll have to set it up as a new iPad.

Most reactions