What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could the iPhone 6 Seriously Affect iPad Sales?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
white_and_silver_iPhone_6.JPG

BGR has some troubling thoughts for Apple today regarding iPad sales, and in particular, how they will be affected by the forthcoming release of the iPhone 6.

As BGR notes, iPad sales took a significant fall in the March quarter, and now Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty is predicting further trouble ahead by drastically reducing her tablet growth projection for 2014 down to 12% from 26%.

BGR says that one possible reason for the sudden decline in tablet sales overall could be increased competition from cheap phablets, which Canalys has recently said are going through the roof.

With the new iPhone 6 expected to represent a significant upgrade from previous models, and with a bigger screen and lots of exciting new features, could users be tempted away from their iPads?

That remains to be seen, of course, but if the iPhone 6 achieves the spectacular sales expected of it, that could more than compensate for any decline in iPad sales.

Source:
iPhone 6: iPad sales could take an even bigger hit | BGR

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Valid points all. I'm pretty attached to my iPad 2 and will hold on (hardware willing) for the next gen iOS tablet.

Re: iPhone 6 I hope $AAPL delivers on screen size. My failing 57 year old eyes need more real estate. Something along the lines of the HTC One M8 would be perfect, :)

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even if the new iPhone will have a bigger size it will never affect the iPad sales because the iPad will always have the large screen to better use.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even if the new iPhone will have a bigger size it will never affect the iPad sales because the iPad will always have the large screen to better use.

I agree. I have no idea how anyone actually gets anything done on a tiny phone screen. Maybe texting and calling. A few choice games are fine but the iPad is 100% more productive than any phone. IMO.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. I have no idea how anyone actually gets anything done on a tiny phone screen. Maybe texting and calling. A few choice games are fine but the iPad is 100% more productive than any phone. IMO.

Exactly. But I believe that gaming will still be better in the iPad because there are some really good games that aren't available for the iPhone and that the large screen will always be a plus.

Mad_Maru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think projections should look into the purchases made every two years as many only change their device inline with contracts etc. hence I'm due the iPhone 6 and got iPad Air last year.

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just because you guys can't see it doesn't mean it won't happen. Put a larger screen on a phone and people may very well decide they don't need a tablet. Lots of younger people with big-screen phones can get all kinds of stuff done on that phone. And not everyone has poor up-close eyesight. I'm 56 (almost) and have very good up-close vision (not so good at a distance, though). I was reading 8.5 x 11 inch PDF pages just this morning on my 4S. Not my first choice, but I could get it done. Give me a 6-inch screen and it becomes all that much more plausible. Having said that, I still won't be giving up my tablet. But new folks who don't have a tablet and have more limited funds might decide they can skip the tablet. Just how it goes. It won't make much difference to Apple as long as it is their phone people are buying instead of their tablet.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Depends on your usage habits. If you're a hardcore gamer or artist, the iPhone doesn't cut it. For everyday tasks, a bigger iPhone is a plausible alternative to the iPad. In any event, there are lots of other things for Apple to focus on other than the size of their devices.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Depends on your usage habits. If you're a hardcore gamer or artist, the iPhone doesn't cut it. For everyday tasks, a bigger iPhone is a plausible alternative to the iPad. In any event, there are lots of other things for Apple to focus on other than the size of their devices.

A lot of people complain because the iPhone is too small. Yes apple should focus on the size.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just because you guys can't see it doesn't mean it won't happen. Put a larger screen on a phone and people may very well decide they don't need a tablet. Lots of younger people with big-screen phones can get all kinds of stuff done on that phone. And not everyone has poor up-close eyesight. I'm 56 (almost) and have very good up-close vision (not so good at a distance, though). I was reading 8.5 x 11 inch PDF pages just this morning on my 4S. Not my first choice, but I could get it done. Give me a 6-inch screen and it becomes all that much more plausible. Having said that, I still won't be giving up my tablet. But new folks who don't have a tablet and have more limited funds might decide they can skip the tablet. Just how it goes. It won't make much difference to Apple as long as it is their phone people are buying instead of their tablet.

Have more limited funds? iPhones are much more expensive than the iPad in the Philippines. The iPad will always still be the better device for me.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A lot of people complain because the iPhone is too small. Yes apple should focus on the size.

I'll admit to having minimal interest in my iPhone versus my iPads, although it (a 4S) is good enough and big enough for all of my non-creative tasks. I'll probably end up with the 6 or 6S or whatever is out when my contract ends, and I certainly wouldn't object to the increased screen size.

I dare say the iPads will continue to sell for the reasons previously mentioned (at least, I sure hope so).

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope, apples and oranges.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll admit to having minimal interest in my iPhone versus my iPads, although it (a 4S) is good enough and big enough for all of my non-creative tasks. I'll probably end up with the 6 or 6S or whatever is out when my contract ends, and I certainly wouldn't object to the increased screen size.

I dare say the iPads will continue to sell for the reasons previously mentioned (at least, I sure hope so).

Oh yes, and I hardly use my iPhone anymore except to actually make a call and an occasional text. I text on my iPad lol.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Me too. I never had any problems with iPhone screens but I chose an iPad because I think its better. And I never regretted my decision. But there are a lot of people complaining about the iPhone screen so I guess a lot of people would want the iPhone 6. Its tempting and a larger screen is always a plus to me but I will always go for an iPad because like I saidm the iPad will always have a better use for its larger screen and it has much more funtionality. And its cheaper than the iPhone in my country.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yes, and I hardly use my iPhone anymore except to actually make a call and an occasional text. I text on my iPad lol. Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk

Same with me! Just loved my first iPhone but once I received my iPad, my iPhone was only used for calls and the occasional text.

I prefer the iPad for texting too.....just much easier and less mistakes......it's all about my eyes. ;)

I don't really think that iPad users will be tempted to go for an iPhone instead, I just don't think it's a matter of either/or, well not for me anyway, I want both.

But I'm looking forward to the new iPhone to see just how much more screen space it will have, I think that will be a big pulling card for others to jump on the Apple wagon......and what do you know, my contract expires next month! Yay!

Most reactions

Latest posts