What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could Android be pulled from shelves?

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My personal thought is that Google is using their bully platform to beat Oracle down. That will work for them, but if they push it too far, a judge could very well grant an injunction to stop the sale of Android devices. It would probably not last too long, but would make a lot of manufacturers extremely unhappy. I honestly think that Google should drop Android. Google has made too many mistakes in implementing it. Sell it to Samsung and let them integrate it into their devices better. That may be incentive for the other manufacturers to adopt the Win 8 program, or they could still buy Android from Samsung.

Intellectual property law is very convoluted. This could take years, and that may be Google's strategy. From what I read, two things are true. Google overstep its authority to use JAVA. Android is not going away. The question is now about how to distribute the finances to make things legal. The big issue is how this could impact the existing patent wars between Samsung and others, against Apple. If Samsung is found to be using software that was not legally their's to use, then the Apple case is stronger.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just take it back. You don't need to JB to do any of the stuff you need to do, but if you are having such a hard time with the iPad, get another Sammy.
AQ_OC
Can you tell us, then how to access file structure/system and/of play flash on iPad?. While you are at it, please give us instruction as to how to install anything on iPad or iPhone outside of iTunes without jaibreaking? BTW, why do you think it is called "jailbreaking"?.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andrzejls said:
AQ_OC
Can you tell us, then how to access file structure/system and/of play flash on iPad?. While you are at it, please give us instruction as to how to install anything on iPad or iPhone outside of iTunes without jaibreaking? BTW, why do you think it is called "jailbreaking"?.

I can answer that as soon as you can tell me how to make my truck take corners like a sports car, and my wife would really like to be able to cook a large turkey in the toaster oven.
Or since you know so much about Android, I was wondering how I can protect my data files from apps I installed but don't trust? Especially the ones I got from the Russian mafia android store.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think of the iPad as marriage. There are restrictions of what you can and cannot do, but overall it can be a great experience if pay attention. Android is like being single. You never know what your experience will be like, and each new experience has risks. It is up to the individual to decided what is best for them.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think of the iPad as marriage. There are restrictions of what you can and cannot do, but overall it can be a great experience if pay attention. Android is like being single. You never know what your experience will be like, and each new experience has risks. It is up to the individual to decided what is best for them.

So with multiple platforms, I can be "married" and still mess around and get whatever I want on the side. No need to commit. Lol.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
So with multiple platforms, I can be "married" and still mess around and get whatever I want on the side. No need to commit. Lol.

So true. My blackberry was the business partner - great at what he does but limited. My android tablet is the mistress in my relationships. She's more adventurous than the iPad, and we've had some great times but I like to get back to the iPad when I need reliability.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. iPad is as marriage and as in marriage the worst is first 30 years (I know, married 35 years), after that you can get use to it.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can answer that as soon as you can tell me how to make my truck take corners like a sports car, and my wife would really like to be able to cook a large turkey in the toaster oven.
Or since you know so much about Android, I was wondering how I can protect my data files from apps I installed but don't trust? Especially the ones I got from the Russian mafia android store.
It is very simple to protect your your data. Do not get them from Russian mafia. If you do, then do not complain, it is your own fault. As you might or not be aware, Android is based on Linux which is a flavor (free code) of Barkley V5 of original AT&T UNIX. Just happened, I am certified (1984) as UNIX sysadm and had been doing this (among other things) for more than 25 years. That, IMHO, make me a person with "some" knowledge of the OS.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EvilMonkey said:
I firmly believe that languages are not copyrightable. I think I can code as much as I want in JAVA with no repercussions. The problem is if someone else codes something in JAVA and I steal that code. It's like trying to copyright the alphabet and then suing anyone who writes something.

You can believe in Santa Claus too but that doesn't mean a fat man in a red suit will be sliding down your chimney any time soon. We live under the agreements of the license. Besides this is not about their actual code it is about proprietary APIs and probably the interpreter. You can write code all day long but if you don't have an interpreter it is just a bunch of words. If you take a shortcut and use an API you are subject to its license.

Most reactions