What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

converting movies for ipad...

iPad911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i got some blueray movies on my computer (MKV FILES) anyone know how to convert it for the ipad with the right format and resolution size?
and what kind of software i case use?

oPll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use MelodyCan) It the best way to convert files)

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i got some blueray movies on my computer (MKV FILES) anyone know how to convert it for the ipad with the right format and resolution size?
and what kind of software i case use?

I use a product called "Air Video" - one half is a server/converter that you install on your PC or Mac.

The other half is an App for the iPad.

Basically, you can use this combo to:

a) convert videos that are on your PC and watch them "on the fly" on your iPad so long as you've got enough bandwidth to stream the converted movies from your computer to your iPad (i.e. when your computer and your iPad are both on the same WiFi network)

b) covert videos off line and store them in an iPad friendly format on your hard drive. You can then play them by streaming them to the iPad from the PC using the App, or you move them into iTunes and sync them to the iPad.

It works for every type of video file I've tried so far, including MKV files.

There are two versions of the App - the lite version is free and slightly crippled - each time you run it, it only lets you chose from a few videos at random from your PC. The full version costs $2.99 in the App Store and basically differs in that it lists all the videos on your PC without limitation.

So far it works very well for me. After trying the free version and seeing it work so well, I decided that $3 was a pretty reasonably price for the non-crippled version. Only app I've actually purchased so far.

About Air Video

Another alternative is to get the free VLC player app. You can then move your video files to the App's storage area on your iPad through iTunes. Problem is that it won't play really high res MKV files on the iPad (neither will the OPlayer app, which I also tried) - the iPad hardware isn't fast enough to handle it.

Last edited:

Most reactions