What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert mkv files to ipad format

Andygo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a couple of movies I would like to convert from MKV format to ipad friendly MP4v.

The mkv movie is in HD and is 6.5gb in size.

Using handbrake significantly decreases the file size and quality.

Any ideas how to maintain the quality after conversion?

Sonia ferdous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You better go with 4Media iPad Max or iSkyiPadVideo server. These work great for me. So you can give a try.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Up the quality settings. There are many options for that. Some take much longer, however.

D

dvdcatalyst

I have a couple of movies I would like to convert from MKV format to ipad friendly MP4v.

Usually increasing the video bitrate setting will increase the quality, but it will also increase the file-size as well.

There are a few different video formats that Handbrake can use. Make sure you use H264/x264. the FFMPEG format is a bit faster to convert, but doesn't offer the same compression (quality).

Another option is to reduce the screen-size a bit. This might sound strange, but if you want a smaller file-size while reducing quality issues to a minimum, going from 1080p resolution (1920x1080) to 720p (1280x720) will enable you to reduce the size considerably, and while the video doesn't look as sharp as it would at the full 1080p, you can probably go down to 2GB for your movie while still having it look great.

A week or so ago, I wrote an article on this that gives some better insight on that:

http://www.ipadforums.net/dvd-catalyst/79858-tip-how-make-your-video-files-smaller.html

Another option is to use CRF.

This automatically adjusts the bitrate to whatever is needed for the conversion to keep a certain quality. This article can shine some light on how that works:

What is CRF? | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

Chileman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi,

I know this isn't the answer to the question you were asking, but maybe it will help anyway! I had the same issue, tho I had tons of (my own!) bluray/dvd rips etc in mkv format, but didn't want the pain of having to convert them to play on my iphone/ipad.

I ended up going for an app called AVPlayer, it pretty much plays everything I've thrown at it so far, and has a great interface. I think they have a new, retina-friendly version out as well.

Cheers,
G.

Most reactions

Latest posts