What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Controlling desktop (Mac) from ipad

tholmes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a MacPro at work and would like to control it from my iPad locally, meaning I would only control it while in my office and tied to the local network. How can i do this?

Thanks

Tony

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, there are two. LogMeIn Inignition and the one I use is called iTeleport. They both do what you want.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Logmein requires a server on the host computer, so I would recommend against it. I teleport works great, and it uses standard vnc protocol, so set up screen sharing as you would as if you were going to login from another mac and off you go...works great locally and if you set up port forwarding on your router it works very well remotely. I use it all the time at work to call in to my mac pro at home.

OP
T

tholmes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased iTeleport and it works great. thanks!

What about making the iPad "see" local servers in a work environment?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just purchased iTeleport and it works great. thanks!

What about making the iPad "see" local servers in a work environment?

Right on.

If you're into the whole "do stuff remotely" thing, you gotta check out "Air Video" - it plays every video format that I've thrown at it in great quality including stuff that shouldn't work like .AVI, .FLV, .MKV videos from your PC/Mac hard drive over the Wi-Fi to your iPad or iPhone. Probably the most impressive piece of remote technology other than iTeleport I've found so far.

If you have a video that you know is on your computer, but you can't be troubled to convert it and drag it into iTunes or something silly like that, try it.

Of course it works the other way around than iTeleport, but I thought you would get a kick out of that possibility if you're anything like me. Until now, I've only used it on the iPhone, but everyone who have tried it swears by it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Most reactions

Latest posts