What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contacts and iCloud

agility

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings,

Although I'm a computer person, my iPad3 was my first Apple product so I'm still an Apple newbie. I just got a new iPhone5 (yes, I'm hooked :), and I was impressed with how easy and seamless the setup was. Both my iPad and the iPhone are running iOS6 and are configured to use iCloud.

I didn't notice until I was home from the Apple store, but my iPhone only has a small number of my contacts from the iPad. I tried deleting contacts and restoring from iCloud, but that didn't help. Then, I discovered the Groups button on the iPad and saw that my iPad contacts are categorized into two groups "from iCloud" and "from PC". When I was initially setting up my iPad contacts, I exported an address book as vcards from my PC and imported them into the iPad on iTunes. I've since edited them and added new contacts, assuming that they all would have been backed up into iCloud as my iPad contact list. Apparently, that wasn't the case. My iPhone only is seeing the subset of contacts I manually entered on the iPad and is not seeing any of the contacts that originally were imported as vcards.

How do I get all my iPad contacts merged into one list that is accessible by both my devices on iCloud?

TIA for any help you can provide. This forum is awesome; I've been helped many times by your informative posts.

-- Sheri

OP
A

agility

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again,

I solved the problem (yay!) so I thought I'd post to help others.

What I did:

-- Turn iCloud contacts OFF on the iPad, making sure to select "keep contacts" when prompted

-- Turn iCloud contacts back ON on the iPad. You then will be prompted to merge all contacts into one group, which is what you want

-- Turn iCloud contacts OFF on the iPhone, selecting delete all contacts when prompted

-- Turn iCloud contacts ON on the iPhone and... Voilà! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts