What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

compass intereference message

valstephinson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have an ipad and bought the outdoors great britain app + £100 worth of 1:25 maps. i cannot use this app successfully as i keep getting the message in the the title of this thread, smack in the middle of my screen. i have followed instruction to calibrate the compass but it makes no difference. anyone else having this problem? :mad:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My advice would be to contact the App Store / iTunes, tell them you are not satisfied with the app because it doesn't work, and ask for a refund of your £100.

Then buy the "UK Map" app, which is SUPERB. You pay £6.99 for the app which includes a 1:250,000 road map, and you can then download as many 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 "tiles" (each 5 km x 5 km) as you want. The killer feature is that all the tiles are FREE!! :)

The topograhical detail is superb, and in 1:10,000 the street names are fully searchable by postcode, name etc. Other features: altitude in feet/meters; compass; lock locator onto centre of map; 10-figure grid ref and precise lat/long; choose hill shading direction and density; all scales merge seamlessly from large -> small and back again when zooming in/out; and of course, it works offline (i.e. without a 3G signal).

I can't speak too highly of this app. It is terrific value, and you don't have to download more tiles than you need, so you aren't using up more memory than you have to. You can delete tiles when you've returned from your trip, then reload them again whenever you like, still free, as often as you want. You save a fortune compared to buying OS maps or Outdoors GB. Go for it!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a thought, but if you have a smart cover or other cover with magnets in it, try the app again with the cover removed.

Reaction score
I had that with a couple of star gazing apps and turning the iPad off via hold the power button until the red slider on top came up and I powered it off that way. Skyorb still does it from time to time but nothing like before.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My advice would be to contact the App Store / iTunes, tell them you are not satisfied with the app because it doesn't work, and ask for a refund of your £100.

Then buy the "UK Map" app, which is SUPERB. You pay £6.99 for the app which includes a 1:250,000 road map, and you can then download as many 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 "tiles" (each 5 km x 5 km) as you want. The killer feature is that all the tiles are FREE!! :)

The topograhical detail is superb, and in 1:10,000 the street names are fully searchable by postcode, name etc. Other features: altitude in feet/meters; compass; lock locator onto centre of map; 10-figure grid ref and precise lat/long; choose hill shading direction and density; all scales merge seamlessly from large -> small and back again when zooming in/out; and of course, it works offline (i.e. without a 3G signal).

I can't speak too highly of this app. It is terrific value, and you don't have to download more tiles than you need, so you aren't using up more memory than you have to. You can delete tiles when you've returned from your trip, then reload them again whenever you like, still free, as often as you want. You save a fortune compared to buying OS maps or Outdoors GB. Go for it!

I love this app too. One advantage is that individual tiles are relatively small - about 5 MB if you choose the most detailed scale - meaning that you can download them using 3G if you find yourself out and about and unexpectedly don't have the appropriate tile. It has a compass function, too!

Tim

AceOfThumbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was having trouble with my compass also and the figure 8 movement wasn't helping. I searched around and found that some people were waving magnets near the iPad. I tried it and it worked.

The disclaimer is that I am not in any way an expert on this and don't know if it is possible to damage your iPad with a magnet. I can tell you I did this myself and my iPad is perfectly alright and the compass works again.

I don't recall the exact instructions because this was a few months ago, but here's what I did:
1. Get a strong refrigerator magnet. I don't know if a weak one would be enough. I actually used a 3/8" round neodymium magnet.
2. Face approximately North. you can use a physical compass or a map to figure out North.
3. With your compass app open, hold the magnet about an inch from your iPad and move it along the bottom from South to North.
4. This will flip the compass around a bit and hopefully reset it. If not try again. Perhaps hold the magnet closer to the iPad.
5. If you are able to get rid of the interference message, the compass heading may be off a bit, since it would think the magnet was pointing exactly North. So then move your magnet far away and do the figure 8 motion so it can find North.

I hope that helps.

Most reactions