What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging an IPAD Air

Poppilicious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All
My ipad flashed I have 10% remainder of power- can anyone advise whats the best way of charging it? - I'm using the battery provided but should I switch my IPAD off and let it charge or can I still enter my password and not use the ipad but stil charge it?

Also , doing it this way- how long will it take. This is the first time in over 10 days that I will be charging my ipad in this way!

Also, a silly question but how do I know what model mine is- how do you distinguish between the models? All I know Ive got an IPAD Air!

Many thanks

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use it while charging it if you want to. It will charge faster if you leave it alone though. I wouldn't let it run down to 10% regularly. Only do that once in a while. Mostly, charge it when it gets down to around 40% or 50%. It's better for the battery.

Ya know, that's a good question about determining what model you have. The Air is so much lighter and thinner than pervious generations that it's easy to tell. But, from the 3 to the 4.... I'm not sure how tell. They don't put any model on. The back of the unit or anything.

OP
P

Poppilicious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you S2mikey for the information and advice- As Ive only just bought the ipad air ( my first ever Ipad!!) this is the very first time I'm charging it so now Ill know- not to let it run down to 10%...I've left it to charge and will wait til it charges to 100%!....u see uve got me!!!.. what on earth is 3 and 4 generation??.....appreciate the advice!! Cheers

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can identify it with the model number, which can be found at the back of the cover. There's an A and a number with four digits. This screenshot will help you identify if it's Wi-Fi only or with cellular:
image.jpg

And without looking at the model number: is there a place to insert a Nano SIM card on the side with the Volume buttons, but on the other end? In that case it's Wi-Fi + Cellular. If you don't find that tray, it's Wi-Fi only.

3rd and 4th generation iPad are models that were built before the iPad Air. If you search through this forum, you'll also find "original" ipad, or first generation, and iPad 2.

Once a month, the battery should be run down below 10%.

Last edited:
OP
P

Poppilicious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can identify it with the model number, which can be found at the back of the cover. There's an A and a number with four digits. This screenshot will help you identify if it's Wi-Fi only or with cellular:
View attachment 58422
And without looking at the model number: is there a place to insert a Nano SIM card on the side with the Volume buttons, but on the other end? In that case it's Wi-Fi + Cellular. If you don't find that tray, it's Wi-Fi only.

3rd and 4th generation iPad are models that were built before the iPad Air. If you search through this forum, you'll also find "original" ipad, or first generation, and iPad 2.

Once a month, the battery should be used below 10%.

Hey J.A:).. thanks.. so if I have the A1474 - this is wifi and not cellular so what 'generation' does it make it?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Generation" doesn't depend on Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Cellular, but on the year it came out first.

The iPad 1 (first generation/original iPad) was introduced in 2010, iPad 2 (second generation) in 2011. So the iPad Air would be the iPad 5, or fifth generation, introduced last year.

OP
P

Poppilicious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Generation" doesn't depend on Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Cellular, but on the year it came out first.

The iPad 1 (first generation/original iPad) was introduced in 2010, iPad 2 (second generation) in 2011. So the iPad Air would be the iPad 5, or fifth generation, introduced last year.
Coolio!!! So I hold the latest in IPAD technology!!! Many thanks for the 'Dummies guide to Ipad' in a few seconds!!!! Legend!!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My pleasure. :)

So far, it's the latest technology. The next generation will be introduced in Fall, supposedly.

Most reactions

Latest posts