What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Apple ID on iPad...

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All,
First, let me apologize if I’ve posted this in the wrong place.

I want to change my Apple ID from one 3rd party email account to another 3rd party email account. I have read how to do it, it seems like no big trick, but I have a couple of questions you *may know the answer to, e.g.

- The Apple ID I have now and want to change- must I keep the email account associated with it active until after the change, or can I (preferably) delete that email account before changing my Apple ID? I *guess it’s OK to delete it beforehand, because Apple’s verification email will be sent to my new email account, the one that I want to be my new Apple ID. But I don’t like to guess, I like to know! Anyone?

- Apple says *before changing my Apple ID, sign out of all services that use my Apple ID. But, I read in a tech website (not Apple) to do the opposite- change my Apple ID on the *services that use it *after changing to the new ID. The claim made is that I’ll get a prompt to enter the new, updated Apple ID, and this will be less tedious than the way Apple says to do it. That may be true, but would any problems pop up if I followed the websites’ advice rather than Apple’s? Actually, doing it Apple’s way is no big deal, it’s just something I’m wondering about.

- Most importantly, after changing my Apple ID, will I still have access to the exact *same services I had before? In particular, I have ‘stuff’ in iCloud that I don’t want to lose. So when I change my Apple ID, will I still be able to sign into my same iCloud account that has all my ‘stuff’? I really would like to know about this!

Thank You

:)

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do not deactivate your old Apple ID email account before you change to the new one. You don’t want the problems that result if you do. BTW, your Apple ID email should not be one that’s tied to your job, internet provider, etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like what you want to do is change the email address you use for your Apple ID account. Something you can only do if you used a non-Apple email address to create the account. This is different than changing your Apple ID on the iPad. Be sure you note the differences when reading articles.

In the first case, your apps, iCloud, and other associated Apple ID stuff should remain intact. In the second, it all goes away, because all iTunes, iCloud, and other Apple data are tied to the account. Not the email address, but the actual account.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for replying. Much appreciated, always!

scifan57, I’m not going to ‘deactivate’ my old Apple ID. I’m going to appleid.apple.com to edit it. Perhaps you’re using ‘deactivate’ and ‘edit’ as synonyms, I’m not sure. I’ve never done this before, so I don’t know what problems might arise... I hope you’re mistaken, or else I hope I’m lucky!

twerppoet, I’ll be using 3rd party email addresses, so no worries there. I feel reassured that my ‘Apple ID stuff’ should remain intact. I figured that would be most likely. But if my ‘stuff’ goes away, that exceeds my tech capability, time to go to the store! Thanks for your information!

:)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Personally I’d just get and use an Apple email address for your iCloud and Apple ID. You’ll never need to change it again, so long as you keep your Apple devices. If you don’t use it for anything but your Apple ID and Apple support, that just makes it a tad more secure.

To be sure, you’ll end up tempted to use it for more things, but you don’t have to.

Most reactions

Latest posts