What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't use quote marks at beginning of sentence

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On my Pro 12, iOS 9.2, I'm unable to start a sentence with quote marks ("). I have to type a letter first, then type the symbol, then go back and delete the initial letter. Boring!

Is it me or Apple?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's Apple, not you.

I've found out what the problem is. When you have Auto-Capitalization turned on, the shift key will not work if it's the first key used. This means that using the shift key then the quote key or any other secondary key function will not work, as you've discovered. The way to fix the problem for now, until Apple fixes the bug, is to turn off Auto-Capitalization and manually capitalize the first letter of each word beginning a sentence.

To turn off auto-capitalization go to Settings>General>Keyboard>Auto-Capitalization and slide the switch to off.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or keep Auto-Capitalization enabled and change to the keyboard with numbers. The quote marks are there too, and you can start a sentence from there with " without any problems.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or keep Auto-Capitalization enabled and change to the keyboard with numbers. The quote marks are there too, and you can start a sentence from there with " without any problems.
The only problem is that it adds an extra step. I sure hope that Apple fixes this bug soon.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Feedback - iPad - Apple

Interesting. If you press the Shift key twice, you can add the quote marks at the beginning of a sentence.
Edit: don't press twice quickly, or you'll enable Caps Lock, and you won't be able to write the quote marks.

It doesn't matter if you press Shift or the Numbers key. It's one tap. The only additional thing you have to do when you use the Numbers key, is to tap it again afterwards.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or just hold down the quote key for a little longer, and the double qoute will pop up instead of the single. Any key that shows a shifted character can by typed this way. Other special characters may show up as well, but the default will be the one shown on the key.

image.jpeg

Even keyes that don't show a shifted characer often hide other special characters, like accented vowels. It's worth your time to experiment a bit and see what's available. It can save a lot of exter key taps.

Most reactions

Latest posts