What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t send msg in Messages to a Contact?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I hit the Icon for new message (a square with a pen in it) and begin typing this particular contacts name, the field populates, and lets me type a message but it wont actually *send* the message.

Can anyone tell me what I might be missing in this..does Messages not...”recognize” the Contact for some reason? Wifi is on...

It does say that the contact is not registered with messages.

Thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless you have an iPhone paired with your iPad, you can not send normall SMS messages from the iPad. At least not using the Messages app. If you do have an iPhone, you need to go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding on the iPhone and enable the iPad(s) you want to the iPhone’s texts with.

Note: Apple’s iMessage service only works with Apple devices and computers. The iPhone is capable of both iMessage (which is uses when available) and SMS.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
good to know, and thank you.

apple clearly wants to keep people 100% in its ecosystem.:(

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you do have an iPhone, you need to go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding on the iPhone and enable the iPad(s) you want to the iPhone’s texts with.

Note: Apple’s iMessage service only works with Apple devices and computers. The iPhone is capable of both iMessage (which is uses when available) and SMS.

I can also do this with an apple mac pro? Phones charging while off right now. ;-)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can also do this with an apple mac pro? Phones charging while off right now. ;-)

The limitation on SMS messaging in the Messages app are due to how SMS works. It is a cellular service that needs an active phone service to work. This is a separate (and older) technology than the various cellular internet services. For an iPad to have SMS service it would also need a phone number that you could call. Another words, it would need to be a phone. A few message services get around this by assigning you a phone number/service, and routing it through the internet; but most non-SMS message services are just like iMessage. Limited to internet, and their own service.

On the iPhone, Apple combines it’s own service with the cellular SMS service in a single app. Messages uses iMessage (Apple’s service) if it can, and SMS if it’s not available. On other devices, Apple will use the internet to route SMS messaging to/from the iPhone. The only (to my knowledge) exception to this is newer cellular capable Apple Watches. You have the option of registering (for a fee) your watch with your cell carrier. It will then use the same number as you iPhone to directly send/receive SMS and iMessages without depending on the iPhone.

Sorry to say, I have no idea what happens if the iPHone is turned off.

I’m pretty sure Messages on a Mac can also be paired with your iPhone for SMS messages; but since I no longer have a Mac I can not confirm this; and I’m too lazy to look it up right now.

Why is your iPhone off for charging? It’s not necessary. I’m not even sure it’s possible. Last time I tried to keep an iOS device off when charging, it kept restarting itself as soon as it had a minimal charge.

Most reactions