What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't play or copy network videos with Buzz Player HD

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zzz99 said:
Hi donka,

I have been looking for an app that can play directly from my Synology NAS, I have tried AirPlayer and EXplayer, these 2 apps can't handle it at all, not even a xxMB mp4 720p that I dl'ed from youtube...

I have a wireless N network @ 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, also iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

Would you mind to test a 1-2GB(720p) media file to play directly from the nas instead of copying to your iPad? I don't want to spend $ again on some beta app. BIG Thanks!

When you say it can't handle it, what do you mean? Do they not play back at all, can you not see the files or do they play back but choppy? I have tested a 600mb 720p MKV file which streamed fine although I don't have any mp4 content to test just now, there is also a bug with the current version if Buzz Player which gives choppy feedback - it should hopefully be fixed shortly - but in the meantime I can't do any meaningful test as the bug won't say if it is an app or streaming issue.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

uginz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem.
I can see my PC on the SMB shares page but when I try to connect, it asks for a username and password, which doesn’t exist.
Air video server and NAS are ok. I can browse the shared folder on other PC and Mac without problems.

any solutions?

Go into 'Network & Sharing' settings, click advanced and then open up your local (home network). Scroll near the bottom for 'Password Protected Shares' and disable this. You should now be able to access the Windows share without a username/password i.e. by clicking 'As Guest'.
Tried that. Still doesn't work

zzz99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi donka,

Yes, choppy, video and sound doesn't sync.

I am very un-happy of the EXplayer because it can't even handle a 720p(less than 100mb) file that play directly on the iPhone... not to mention streaming from nas.

AirPlayer seems better but still a little choppy to play a 4xxMB media.

I guess I will give a shot to this Buzz player HD since this also work with AirVideo server, but I am really looking for a computer-less solution...

I got my wife a iPad 2 to retire her 5 years old macbook.

I am using a MBA 11", so we have all our media on the NAS, currently I have a Mac Mini to "JUST host the AirVideo server..."

XBMC works perfectly on my atv2 and iPhone 4 but there is no jb for iPad 2 yet...

I believe if I can't find a computer-less solution to stream media from nas, I will just get her a Macbook IF Apple refresh the hardware, it hasn't get refresh for almost a year...

Again, BIG THANKS for your advise & testing it for me.

When you say it can't handle it, what do you mean? Do they not play back at all, can you not see the files or do they play back but choppy? I have tested a 600mb 720p MKV file which streamed fine although I don't have any mp4 content to test just now, there is also a bug with the current version if Buzz Player which gives choppy feedback - it should hopefully be fixed shortly - but in the meantime I can't do any meaningful test as the bug won't say if it is an app or streaming issue.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've spoken to the developer and v1.8 update for Buzz Player HD has been submitted to Apple for approval so should show up in the App store in a couple of days. It fixes the choppy playback issue.
I use this to stream directly from my NAS (WD MyBookWorld) with nothing else required. It works great.

zzz99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more question before I press the BUY , does it play RMVB as well?

I used to have the WD MYBOOKWORLD but one bad experience, then no more WD NAS, and I am not the only one who have those problems, good luck, make sure you have backup to ANOTHER hard drive, not raid.

I've spoken to the developer and v1.8 update for Buzz Player HD has been submitted to Apple for approval so should show up in the App store in a couple of days. It fixes the choppy playback issue.
I use this to stream directly from my NAS (WD MyBookWorld) with nothing else required. It works great.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zzz99 said:
One more question before I press the BUY , does it play RMVB as well?

I used to have the WD MYBOOKWORLD but one bad experience, then no more WD NAS, and I am not the only one who have those problems, good luck, make sure you have backup to ANOTHER hard drive, not raid.

I have never played rmvb format so can't comment. Had my wd NAS for over 2 years now and still going strong.

zzz99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally have time to test it, this is way better than airplayer A LOT but can't handle 500+MB file smoothly...

I am testing it on an iPad 2, Synology DS110j NAS, with Apple base extreme station N@5Ghz network.

At least I can use it as a AirVideo or local media player on the iPad, but it doesn't support chinese character folder.

This is the last network player app for me... Thanks for all your help again donka.

I have never played rmvb format so can't comment. Had my wd NAS for over 2 years now and still going strong.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yip, the 1.8 update of Buzz came out on the app store today. Fixed the performance issues of the previous release. This is an excellent all round media player, great for streaming or local playback.

jaspersky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
by plasmaray » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi,
Im using buzzplayer in ipad to view the medias in my DS1512+. There's no problem in browsing the video file from upnp connection but I dont want to use upnp.

I switch to samba shares. Created shared folder named "mvshow", user account "player" .

From Buzzplayer, I click + at the share location the link I put in smb://192.168.1.60/volume1/mvshow but I couldnt access the NAS from buzz player samba shares

Its driving me crazy. Do i have do configure port forwarding?

zzz99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go with AcePlayer, it works perfectly with 4S with 75mbps, and on iPhone 5, iPad 4 and iPad mini, it is even better cause now they are up to 150mpbs.

By the way, for internal account, there is no port forwarding require.

by plasmaray » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi,
Im using buzzplayer in ipad to view the medias in my DS1512+. There's no problem in browsing the video file from upnp connection but I dont want to use upnp.

I switch to samba shares. Created shared folder named "mvshow", user account "player" .

From Buzzplayer, I click + at the share location the link I put in smb://192.168.1.60/volume1/mvshow but I couldnt access the NAS from buzz player samba shares

Its driving me crazy. Do i have do configure port forwarding?

Last edited:

jaspersky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go with AcePlayer, it works perfectly with 4S with 75mbps, and on iPhone 5, iPad 4 and iPad mini, it is even better cause now they are up to 150mpbs.

By the way, for internal account, there is no port forwarding require.

Can show your settings on the aceplayer? What do you mean by internal account?

zzz99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My fault, I mean internal access, like you are at home and accessing the nas with your iPhone that is connected to the wifi(network).

I think the Aceplayer is free now.

1- Media exploere
2- Samba servers

new server then enter the ip address of the nas, just the ip address, port 139 as default.

then of course username/password.

I have been using this since 4S, it works very nice, I can play up to 1.5GB file without any lag.

GL.

Can show your settings on the aceplayer? What do you mean by internal account?

jaspersky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My fault, I mean internal access, like you are at home and accessing the nas with your iPhone that is connected to the wifi(network).

I think the Aceplayer is free now.

1- Media exploere
2- Samba servers

new server then enter the ip address of the nas, just the ip address, port 139 as default.

then of course username/password.

I have been using this since 4S, it works very nice, I can play up to 1.5GB file without any lag.

GL.

Hi,
I key in the following except for name/pw, i tried the default admin, as well as a user account I created name "player" with priveldges to the share folder that has the media files but it simply couldnt work!
Host: 192.168.1.60 (my NAS address)
Port 139 (leave it as it is)
Username ?
Password ?

zzz99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the nas brand and model again? Is it Synology? Which DSM version you are running?

Most reactions