What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Delete Emails on iPad Air

Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a brand new ipad air and I am very frustrated. Ready to take it back. My email says have 1122 in the inbox and 1122 unread. I cannot access any of them even if I wanted to delete them one at a time. Also the Flagged column shows a yellow circle? Can anyone help please.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello.

I understand your frustration with your emails, but I'm afraid that I have to ask you to (1) not make several posts about your issue. Please keep any discussion about your issue in this thread. Your two other posts were deleted.

And, (2) please be aware that this is an international forum. It does take time for a response here. Giving the forum 6 hours to respond is not enough time. Please be patient and give other members time to read your question (and respond ... if they can help). Thanks.

Is your e-mail accessible via the web? I ask because maybe you can log into the web version and do a mass delete there?

There is also a "trick" for mass deleting emails. Let me go find the thread that mentions it and I'll edit this post...

For now, hang in there. We'll do our best to get you sorted out.

Marilyn

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Flagged column shows what's selected in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars. If the circle is enabled, this will be visible in the Mail app:
image.jpg

Is it possible in your Inbox to tap "Edit"?
image.jpg

It's greyed out in my screenshot, because there are no emails. If yours is not greyed out, tap it. At the bottom, you'll find "Mark All" afterwards. Tap this as well, then select "Mark As Read".

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
M

moparherb

This message may be best addressed to J.A. First of all let me tell you this question concerns email on my iPhone 5s, and I know this is not an iphone forum so if you do not want to answer I will understand. I tried to delete multiple emails using your described method. All the emails are gone but the little red balloon by the mail icon shows 4609 messages. Now I don't have any emails in my email box but it still shows on the home screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This message may be best addressed to J.A. First of all let me tell you this question concerns email on my iPhone 5s, and I know this is not an iphone forum so if you do not want to answer I will understand. I tried to delete multiple emails using your described method. All the emails are gone but the little red balloon by the mail icon shows 4609 messages. Now I don't have any emails in my email box but it still shows on the home screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Try the usual fixes: remove the account from your device and reinstall it. Reset your iPhone (Home and Power button until the Apple appears, release both and let the device power up - I hope the procedure is the same on an iPhone).

If the account is a POP account, maybe changing it to IMAP will help.

Access the account through a browser. Maybe there are more Inboxes than one installed there. Remove the ones that might duplicate incoming emails and are not needed.

On a computer, or through a browser, access the account and mark all emails as read in every folder.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
Barnum

Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I am in the same boat although a newbie with Apple products. I see the read balloon with 1122 emails but nothing in the in box. J.A. if you can send me photos of the steps involved I would appreciate it. I will give it a try.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here we go. To post a screenshot:
Upload File (next to Post Reply)
image.jpg

Choose File:
image.jpg

Choose existing:
image.jpg

Camera Roll:
image.jpg

Select picture (tap it)
image.jpg

It will start loading, when it's finished, select Thumbnail or Full Image:
image.jpg

OP
Barnum

Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A. I can't even take the snapshot of the screen. Sorry. Again I have used a PC for years and even have a website and blog but for whatever reason have trouble with this. I will keep at it. Bear with me.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just keep on trying. Once you know how it works, it'll be easy. :)

There's a certain sign showing you that you took a screenshot: the screen will become white for a second, and then return to the view you had before.

Last edited:
OP
Barnum

Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel bad brining this up again but I still see 1122 in the "red balloon" over the email icon. I actually don't have any now but this number still shows. I am at a loss as to how it got there and what I need to do to get rid of it. It's not a big thing....just annoying.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel bad brining this up again but I still see 1122 in the "red balloon" over the email icon. I actually don't have any now but this number still shows. I am at a loss as to how it got there and what I need to do to get rid of it. It's not a big thing....just annoying.

I don't know why those badges keep appearing (nor do I know how to make a permanent fix).

So, all I can think to do is to go into the "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" portion of you Settings app and turn off badges for your e-mail account(s).

Granted, you'll not see badges for new mail - but you won't see that 1122 number again, either.

Sorry to not be of better assistance.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts