What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't backup iPad 2

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oookay. This is the first time this has happened to me.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1. iTunes 12.0.1.26.

I connected it to my Win 7 PC to download some ringtones to the iPad.

I get a "Oversize" error, and see a video that I previously deleted. I can't delete the movie from the iPad, and I had already removed it from iTunes.

The "space" bar at the bottom of iTunes now shows everything as "Other" and I cannot back the iPad up to the PC. Reboots had restarts have been performed with no change of symptoms.

Since everything is backed up to iCloud, I'm ready to wipe and reinstall.

OP
M

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, J.A., but that doesn't address my issue.

I'm not getting an error message. When I hit sync, the bar flashes from zero to 100 in about half-a-second.

There is some kind of communication error because the space bar at the bottom of the iTunes window it shows some "Video" (I have no videos on the iPad at all), a short purple bar (about 1/4 of an inch) and the rest is "Other." It also shows 2.9 Gb free, but the iPad under General > Settings shows 4.7 Gb free.

I can't use iTunes to remove ringtones or videos.

By the way, my iPhone 5 works fine, no problems.

OP
M

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried this on another computer, it works fine and backs up.

Back to my system, uninstall and reinstall iTunes, no joy. This is the window I get. See the bar on the bottom?

itunes screen.jpg

OP
M

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I see the problem. My Comodo is blocking Apple\Mobile Device Support\ATH.exe from going out. Too tired to tackle it right now. I'll work on it in the morning.

dasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I see the problem. My Comodo is blocking Apple\Mobile Device Support\ATH.exe from going out. Too tired to tackle it right now. I'll work on it in the morning.
One reason why i got rid of Comodo some time ago.....it works well, but it's REALLY invasive and picky about its "permissions"!!!:(
Using NOD32 AV, Malwarebytes, Windows defender and SpywareBlaster.....I feel pretty safe just using my router's SPI firewall.....

OP
M

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ayup. As soon as I gave permission to ATH.exe, it started working.

Most reactions

Latest posts