What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can We Save 'Messages' Texts Yet? - & another question

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way yet with iOS to save all the 'Messages' on my iPhone/iPad?

If not, somebody (a stranger I struck up a conversation with at a restaurant bar) told me they thought they read of a fairly new app that allows you more access to the messy file structure of iOS and that 'Messages' can be saved as one big text file or something with that app.

Of course, it would be better if there was a backup in the OS itself and placed them all in some kind of archived file that would give users access long after we've moved on to other messaging systems in the years to come. Some of us have important work stuff sent in texts, sentimental stuff from family, etc.

Thank you!

RodC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Each time you sync your iPad with iTunes, an iOS backup is created which among other data contains messages (SMS and MMS) from iMessage saved to the following location in Win7:

\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

and on Mac:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Now, these are files saved in a raw format readable only by iTunes. I believe there are certain third-party programs which are designed to read the contents of these iOS backup files.

OP
W

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay...after a lot of research, I found a way...you just need DiskAid 5 "iPhone, iPad & iPod Transfer Tool for PC & Mac"...

Here's what it has to say about iMessages:

"No hacks, no hassle: you are a click away from having your iPhone’s SMS messages and iMessages copied to your computer.
DiskAid instantly exports your call history log, voicemail, voice memo, notes and your whole contacts list. Just drag and drop items from the DiskAid window to your desktop! DiskAid gives access to the iPhone text messages (SMS), the messages can be read, exported and saved to any computer in a simple text file format compatible with any text editor."
Transfer iPhone Contacts, SMS Text Messages, Notes and other Data

Here's the general info on DiskAid 5... DiskAid the iPhone, iPad & iPod Transfer Tool for PC & Mac

Last edited:

Seveb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simply use iCloud to save data including messages.

OP
W

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simply use iCloud to save data including messages.

No, that's not what those of us who keep asking this question are talking about. Yes, the iMessages are in iCloud in the image ready to be downloaded again on a new iDevice or whatever. When we are asking about 'saving' iMessages, we mean as a readable format. To save for memories, etc. The only option, so far, is to copy one message at a time, manually. There is a third party tool that claims to keep all of your iMessages in a large .txt file, but it is fairly expensive and some of the reviews say the formatting is horrible. This seems like another simple thing for Apple to make available, but so far - nothing. App developers are prohibited from developing apps that integrate with iMessage, so that option is unavailable.

Last edited:

Most reactions