What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I restore iTunes Library from iPad completely including contacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snavalpa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I crashed my laptop first with a hard disk failure (it ran windows 7). I am in the process of restoring my laptop and half-way thru.

iPad has all the data including 4500 Contacts and I had regularly backed it up via iTunes to the laptop which is now crashed.

Simple Q is - is it possible to restore all of iTunes Library - music, photos, files, apps and most importantly contacts to iTunes?

I got a new iPhone 4 also and it will be great to transfer/sync from iTunes (once it is populated from iPad) to the new phone.

Any insights and help is greatly appreciated,

Thank you,
Sri.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
snavalpa said:
I crashed my laptop first with a hard disk failure (it ran windows 7). I am in the process of restoring my laptop and half-way thru.

iPad has all the data including 4500 Contacts and I had regularly backed it up via iTunes to the laptop which is now crashed.

Simple Q is - is it possible to restore all of iTunes Library - music, photos, files, apps and most importantly contacts to iTunes?

I got a new iPhone 4 also and it will be great to transfer/sync from iTunes (once it is populated from iPad) to the new phone.

Any insights and help is greatly appreciated,

Thank you,
Sri.

yep

have a read through this

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/28180-restoring-itunes-help.html

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as you set iTunes to backup everything including contacts you will be fine.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Copied and Pasted from another post, but it should work fine for this as well.

This will work if everything you want to keep is on the iPad, or you've already got your iTunes library working on the new machine. If not, then you'll want to solve that problem first.

First, in iTunes on the computer, go to the Store menu and authorize the machine. Then go ahead and login to your iTunes account by clicking on the sign in link at the top right.

As a precaution, open preferences, go to the Devices tab, and turn off auto-syncing. This should prevent iTunes from syncing before your ready, and causing you to loose some content.

Now connect your iPad.

When you get the erase/sync dialog, there should also be a Transfer Purchases option. Choose that. If you do not get that option, cancel out of the dialog, right click on the iPad in he Devices list and choose Transfer Purchases. Alternately you can select Transfer Purchases from. . . under the File menu.

When it finishes (this may take quite a while, depending on how much stuff you have on the iPad) make sure all your stuff got transferred. If not try the Transfer Purchases option again. On rare occasions, or when it gets interrupted, not everything will get copied.

That should put an end to the dialog about erasing your iPad.

Now go through all the sync settings for the iPad in iTunes, and make sure they are set the way you want. Note that if you have been syncing photos into albums, and that the sync is turned off this will remove them from the iPad. If those pictures must be recovered because they are no where else you may want to hold of syncing the iPad until you recover them back to the computer. If you have other copies, or were syncing with iPhoto, then just set it how you want.

{the PhotoSync app along with it's the OS X version you can get from their support site works well for copying photo albums back tot he computer. Note these will all be optimized for the iPad, and probably lower quality than the originals they were synced from, but if they are they only copies you've got left that's better than nothing.}

Be careful about how the apps get synced. If you accidentally delete an app from the iPad all the documents, settings, game progress, ect associated with that app will be deleted too. You can get the app back, but until you've done a back up you can't get that stuff back.

Come to think of it, now is a good time to do a backup. Right click on the iPad under the Devices list and choose Backup.

Now, go to where the backup file is stored and make a copy. Because syncing always does a backup, your first sync will overwrite this file and defeat the whole purpose of this backup, which is to make the iPad recoverable if your first sync messes things up. Here is a link on where you can find the backup file for various OS's. You'll find it under the About Syncing and Backups section:

iPad: About backups

Since you have a Mac, I'll just say Time Machine is your friend. You don't have to have it on all the time. I keep a calendar reminder to do a manual backup every two or three days, which is good enough for my needs.

When you have everything set the way you want, and have confirmed that all your media is in iTunes (on the computer), or safely duplicated elsewhere on the computer, go ahead and sync.

C

carterlinba

The address books in your email client ARE your contacts backups. It was my impression that the itunes iphone backups are for app files, texts, settings, notes, etc... things that aren't already stored on your computer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The thread is over 8 months old, and the OP (Original Poster) never came back.

Not chiding you, just letting you know that checking the dates will help you spend your efforts where they may be better appreciated (and we do appreciate all efforts to help). It will also offer clues on whether the advice given is still relevant. I would not offer the same advice today as I did then. We're two major iOS versions and iTunes updates down the road, and I may have learned a little since then. ;)

Welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The thread is over 8 months old, and the OP (Original Poster) never came back.

Not chiding you, just letting you know that checking the dates will help you spend your efforts where they may be better appreciated (and we do appreciate all efforts to help). It will also offer clues on whether the advice given is still relevant. I would not offer the same advice today as I did then. We're two major iOS versions and iTunes updates down the road, and I may have learned a little since then. ;)

Welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around.

And with that excellent advice, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts