What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

calibrateing ipad battery how low before the recharge

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read on a few ipad forums that the battery should be calibrated once a month.
or every other month. i have not done this yet. my battery is about 22 percent how low should i let it go before i recharge it to 10 percent or under 10 percent and some people say it dont have to be done lol.
i got my ipad around may i guess.. so i plan on doing it this time tomrrow or wensday

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Tazz3 - check out the Apple support page on battery maintenance HERE - at the bottom of that page is the statement quoted below about discharging the battery completely and then recharging about once a month for the purpose given - :)

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know what Apple says, but there are several other Lithium battery experts that advise against allowing a Lithium battery to run all the way down. Me personally, I never let mine drain completely, but here's Apple's advice...

[h=3]Use Your iPad Regularly[/h]For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
  1. All battery claims depend on network configuration and many other factors; actual results will vary. Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by an Apple service provider.
  2. Testing conducted by Apple in October 2012 using preproduction iPad (4th generation) and iPad mini units and software. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and Internet browsing using Wi-Fi or cellular data network. Video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique songs, consisting of a combination of songs imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and songs purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Internet over Wi-Fi and cellular data network tests were conducted using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network (except for Internet browsing over cellular data network); the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPad units; actual results may vary.
  3. Charge cycles vary by use, environment, settings, configuration, and many other factors.

Victor Ruidera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably it is a good idea......

My iPad last about 18 hours when I am playing 3D games and not using the internet, music playback, and location services. I turn them in when I need them.......

But after a while my iPad 2 battery has decresed in an amount of 1 hour after 1 year of using it. After doing what Apple said so it does not only get back to my regular amount of battery use, it increased.

Plus doing so and allowing your iPad to send info about it to Apple could improve new updates in the future.

OP
T

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Runing it down can be between 5 to 10 percent ..I heard that letting the battery completely die is not good.
So I guess 5 percent will be ok.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know what Apple says, but there are several other Lithium battery experts that advise against allowing a Lithium battery to run all the way down. Me personally, I never let mine drain completely, but here's Apple's advice…
. . .

Most modern electronics (including Apple's) won't let you fully discharge ion lithium batteries. The iPad gives you several warnings, eventually doing a proper shutdown whether you want it too or not. It never lets you run the batteries until they are dead. That said, it would be a bad idea to let the iPad go until shutdown, and then leave it laying around uncharged for a few days. That could completely drain the battery, and result in some cells getting a negative charge; which is the bad thing the experts are warning you against.

Also, this full cycling of the batteries has nothing to do with preserving battery life. All it does is help keep the battery percentage reading accurate.

Victor Ruidera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most modern electronics (including Apple's) won't let you fully discharge ion lithium batteries. The iPad gives you several warnings, eventually doing a proper shutdown whether you want it too or not. It never lets you run the batteries until they are dead. That said, it would be a bad idea to let the iPad go until shutdown, and then leave it laying around uncharged for a few days. That could completely drain the battery, and result in some cells getting a negative charge; which is the bad thing the experts are warning you against.

Also, this full cycling of the batteries has nothing to do with preserving battery life. All it does is help keep the battery percentage reading accurate.

My head is gonna explode im this brainstom

So what you are saying is that running the battery to 0% will not harm the iPad if you charge it immedietly, but not charging for a few days wil drain the battery? And this has nothing to do with preserving battery life but to keep it accurate?

I think i would just use it to keep the readings accurate and then when it shut downs I should charge it immedietly.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My head is gonna explode im this brainstom

So what you are saying is that running the battery to 0% will not harm the iPad if you charge it immedietly, but not charging for a few days wil drain the battery? And this has nothing to do with preserving battery life but to keep it accurate?

I think i would just use it to keep the readings accurate and then when it shut downs I should charge it immedietly.

Boy, this seems to be getting overly complicated. If Lithium-ion batteries are allowed to fully discharge, then the battery is likely ruined (as mentioned by Twerppoet; and a few facts from an article quoted below - source HERE) - for myself I let the iPad's battery get just below 5% about once a month and then will do a full charge - I've never allowed the battery to drop to zero for a prolonged time - this should be avoided.

Also Lithium-ion batteries have NO memory (a reason I replaced my cordless hand tools w/ ones using this technology), so charging can be done at any battery level (e.g. 40%) w/o harm - now one might then say that more 'charging cycles' are being used w/ that plan which could reduce the life of the battery; well, a 'charging cycle' is counted as a 100% charge, i.e. if on consecutive days your battery is down to 50% and is charged x2, then that is only one charging cycle (info HERE) - bottom line: 1) Don't let the battery become completely depleted; 2) Charge @ will regardless of the battery power level; and 3) Follow Apple's guideline as to the 'once a month' discharge - this presumably 're-adjusts' the iPad's estimate of the % power in the battery. :)

Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined

Lithium-ion batteries
age. They only last two to three years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years. It won't. Also, if you are buying a new battery pack, you want to make sure it really is new. If it has been sitting on a shelf in the store for a year, it won't last very long. Manufacturing dates are important.

OP
T

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's what I ment the battery reading gauge to keep it spot on.i did not mean to open a can of worms..thanks giradman.
I always charge the iPad when it gets between 35 and 40 percent this is the frist time iam bringing it down that low to calibrate the battery gauge

Victor Ruidera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boy, this seems to be getting overly complicated. If Lithium-ion batteries are allowed to fully discharge, then the battery is likely ruined (as mentioned by Twerppoet; and a few facts from an article quoted below - source HERE) - for myself I let the iPad's battery get just below 5% about once a month and then will do a full charge - I've never allowed the battery to drop to zero for a prolonged time - this should be avoided.

Also Lithium-ion batteries have NO memory (a reason I replaced my cordless hand tools w/ ones using this technology), so charging can be done at any battery level (e.g. 40%) w/o harm - now one might then say that more 'charging cycles' are being used w/ that plan which could reduce the life of the battery; well, a 'charging cycle' is counted as a 100% charge, i.e. if on consecutive days your battery is down to 50% and is charged x2, then that is only one charging cycle (info HERE) - bottom line: 1) Don't let the battery become completely depleted; 2) Charge @ will regardless of the battery power level; and 3) Follow Apple's guideline as to the 'once a month' discharge - this presumably 're-adjusts' the iPad's estimate of the % power in the battery. :)

So what your saying is that a true charging cycle is not putting the battery to 100% then to 0% but charging an iPad to 100% is also counted as a real charge cycle? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

So, is there any other ways to make the lifespan of the lithiun-ion battery longer? I don't want my iPad to get ruined in only 3 years.......

Most reactions