What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar sync

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you start using Calendar before you have activated the iCloud account, a local calendar will be created. When you sign into iCloud later there should be an option to keep the current calendar, or merge it with your iCloud account. I you keep it, then you end up with an "On My iPhone/iPad" calendar.

If this calendar has no useful information in it, you 'should' be able to delete it by tapping Calendar at the bottom of the screen, then Edit at the top left, then (i) to the right of the calendar, and scroll to the bottom of the settings to Delete Calendar. I can give more details if necessary. (I said should, because I've never tried to delete a local calendar before)

If it does have information you want to save it can be merged with the iCloud account.

On the iPhone, in Settings > iCloud turn off the Calendar. It should ask you if you want to keep the calendar data or delete it from the iPhone. Go ahead and delete it. You data will still be in iCloud.

Open the Calendar app and confirm that only the "On My iPhone" Calendar is left.

Go back to Settings > iCloud and turn the Calendar back on. You should get an option to merge or replace the calendar. Choose Merge.

When you go back to the Calendar app the "On My iPhone" calendar shold be gone and all it's events in the main iCloud Calendar. It may take a few minutes for the changes to propogate to the iPad.

Don't forget to go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and choose a default calendar. This will be the calendar that new events are added to automatically.

Note: The same thing can happen with the Notes and Contacts apps.

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, that is very useful, as I do want to keep both calendars.

Most reactions