What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar Crashes

JackBikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad air and the Apple Calendar App crashes when I try to update a future event. It seems to be one particular event. I went back to my laptop and edited that event. Back at the iPad, the app crashes when I try to edit or just click on the event. Any ideas on why that would be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adrna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to do that and I don't have any crashes.... I'm on iOS 8.1.1
But I have another issues, so I think it depends about the apps you have on your iPad and the problem is the update /:

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try deleting and then re-adding that event. It might be some corrupted information.

If the calendar is being synced with an online service like iCloud or Google, you can also try turning off the syncing in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars: your account. Tell it to delete the data from the iPad when prompted, Open the Calendar app to make sure it's gone, Then turn it back on in settings.

This will clear and re-sync all the calendar data. It often fixes problematic events and issues. You wont' lose any data, as long as it is stored correctly online.

One other thing I've seen that sometimes causes problems. The iPad only supports two or three alerts per event. The web interface can usually add more. I've seen Calendar choke on this when you try to edit the event. It's been a couple years since I ran into this, so I don't really know if it's still a thing.

My workaround for this was to create more than one event for things that needed that much lead time. A "Remind Me About" event for the earliest alert, and then the actual event later.

OP
J

JackBikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I went to iCloud and turned off syncing on the calendar. It asked if I wanted to delete the items on the iPad and I did. Now in my calendar I don't have a default calendar or any of my other calendars. I tried adding them in the settings, but it doesn't have a Default add selection. How do I add a default calendar?

OP
J

JackBikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never mind got them back after looking up on the web. Now to see if they function properly.

OP
J

JackBikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it took a while, but it looks like all my calendar items are back and do not crash the app. Thanks for the great suggestions, twerppoet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I'm glad it worked.

All your calendars should have come back when you turned calendar syncing back on in your iCloud settings. You should still go to the Calendar area of Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and make sure you have the default calendar you want setup. This will be the calendar that events are added to automatically, though you can change it during or after creation.

If you only have one calendar set up, then you may not see the default option. Apple tends to leave out settings when they are meaningless.

sussexslanter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm. I had the same issue with crashing on an appointment. I followed the advice above. Now there is nothing left in my calendar, it has deleted the lot. Please can I have the advice that retrieves my appointments?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Were you syncing your calendar events through iCloud as the OP of the thread was? If you were, the advice given to the OP should have worked for you as well. If you weren't syncing your calendar events through iCloud and the only copy was on your iPad, then you've unfortunately lost your calendar events.

Most reactions

Latest posts