What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy US iPad apps from South Africa

taxonridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I opened a thread on 3rd January asking if it is possible to buy US store iPad apps from South Africa and have not received a single answer.
I can't believe that this powerful forum does not generate a reply to such a straight forward question.
Maybe for some mysterious reason, I should not be asking this question.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, the question is OK. Maybe it was just missed first time around. I believe you can buy apps from foreign app stores but need a method of paying for them which indicates that you are in that country.

I know other members use multiple app stores, so I'll have to leave this to others to explain how this works, because I really do not know.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you read the user agreement when you sign up for an iTunes account, what you will see is you cannot legally use a US iTunes Store account from another country.

There have been reports of US iTunes accounts being shut down when used from outside of the US, though I know lots of people who have not had any issues.

I would recommend you use a US based VPN server when accessing iTunes US store from outside the US.

OP
T

taxonridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
No, the question is OK. Maybe it was just missed first time around. I believe you can buy apps from foreign app stores but need a method of paying for them which indicates that you are in that country.

I know other members use multiple app stores, so I'll have to leave this to others to explain how this works, because I really do not know.

Thanks. I have a son in the US who could buy apps for me. Having bought an app for me, how would I get to use it.
How mobile is an app. Can I buy an app and give it to someone?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apps cannot be transferred between iTunes accounts. You must log into the iTunes account on your device to download the app.

OP
T

taxonridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Apps cannot be transferred between iTunes accounts. You must log into the iTunes account on your device to download the app.

Thanks. I wonder if someday us guys in South Africa will be able to enjoy the facilities which I am sure is taken for granted by intending iPad purchasers who find out after buying that there are serious limitations.

Most reactions