What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Books to ibooks

levitate13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own hard copies of books and i was wondering if it was possible to get a copy of them on ibooks so i can read on the ggo

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

DNC1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
levitate13 said:
I own hard copies of books and i was wondering if it was possible to get a copy of them on ibooks so i can read on the ggo

You have two options. iBooks and Kindle App'. If you can't find the book you want on iBooks, download the free Kindle App' as you'll almost certainly find a digital copy on Amazon. You have to buy it on Amazon and then wirelessly transfer it via the App. It's very easy and most books are a lot cheaper than he paper version!

Happy reading.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually there are more than two options... There are about a dozen book readers in the App Store, for paid, free and "borrowed" books.

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are about a dozen book readers in the App Store, for paid, free and "borrowed" books.
What would be the advantage of using anything else but iBooks, especially if you have calibre on your computer and therefore can convert books easily to and from epub, mobi, and what else is all there?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would be the advantage of using anything else but iBooks, especially if you have calibre on your computer and therefore can convert books easily to and from epub, mobi, and what else is all there?

Some people prefer iBooks' display; some don't.

Depends on the user and the content whether this matters, but as far as I know, iBooks DRM are the only ones that haven't been broken. So buying iBooks with DRM would mean sticking with Apple hardware or losing access to books.

I buy from Amazon/Kindle because I want to maintain access to books I've paid for even if I decide to switch to hardware on another platform later. Barnes & Noble also allows access across platforms, but I think it more likely that Amazon will stay in business than B&N. As it is, I can read my Kindle books on my Android and iOS devices, and on PC.

I've also backed up my Kindle books onto my computers, so that if I ever needed to gain access by breaking DRM, I could. I don't plan to do this unless something happened to unexpectedly cut off my access to books I've purchased, or if tech somehow evolves and makes my Kindle books obsolete years down the line. I would do this because I want access to my books for decades, till I die.

Last edited:

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people prefer iBooks' display; some don't.

I just now installed the Kindle app on my iPad and will see then how it compares for me to iBooks. What do you like better in the Kindle app?

I buy from Amazon/Kindle because I want to maintain access to books ... I've also backed up my Kindle books onto my computers ...

Similar for me. I use calibre to manage all my books on my Mac and have them therefore also in the calibre library.

PS (after installing the Kindle app): What I definitely like better in Kindle is the immediate access to the dictionary when long-clicking onto a word. That is also one of the great features of the Kindle device, and it is even better in the Kindle app. (I'm German and therefore like to get deeper definitions for many words.) However, I now have to find a way to get my books into the Kindle library on the iPad without having to go through the Amazon cloud - any idea how to do that?

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just now installed the Kindle app on my iPad and will see then how it compares for me to iBooks. What do you like better in the Kindle app?

Similar for me. I use calibre to manage all my books on my Mac and have them therefore also in the calibre library.

I use six or seven book apps, including iBooks and Kindle. Just depends on what I want access to. I can't access my iBooks on other platforms, so that means I won't buy anything from iBooks other than freebies. I find Kindle useful because I can pick up my book where I left off, including on my Android gadgets and iDevices.

For display purposes, I don't have a big preference for one app over the other.

I've found the Kindle app is the most reliable. No matter firmware upgrades, switching various devices, etc., I've not had hiccups in accessing my Kindle books. I cannot say that about iBooks, B&N's app, etc. YMMV.

I liked Calibre enough to donate to Kovid. He provides a great service.

Last edited:

Most reactions