What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bookmark Help Please

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
fixerman said:
As a last resort I have deleted all of my existing bookmarks and their folders. It has resulted in me just having a bookmarks menu and I have two Folders called Bookmarks Bar. I can now add new bookmarks but one of the Bookmark Bar folders will not save any bookmarks. I cannot see how I can delete the non functioning Bookmarks Bar folder. If I can remove this folder I can start all over again by saving my bookmarks.

Whilst I was deleting all of my bookmarks I noticed that there was extensive duplication of folders and bookmarks.

That is quite unusual that you should have 2 bookmarks bar folders and that there was a duplication of bookmarks unless you had set them more than once, maybe the iPad doesn't recognize bookmarks that have already been saved once. I will look at this myself. Maybe now would be a good time to do a restart and or reset and this may clear the duplicate folder. I would also as a first step clear out the multi task bar. Did you have a look at the Website data that is stored in the iPad at all? I was wondering if it could be a ram issue is all.

Last edited:
OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is quite unusual that you should have 2 bookmarks bar folders and that there was a duplication of bookmarks unless you had set them more than once, maybe the iPad doesn't recognize bookmarks that have already been saved once. I will look at this myself. Maybe now would be a good time to do a restart and or reset and this may clear the duplicate folder. I would also as a first step clear out the multi task bar. Did you have a look at the Website data that is stored in the iPad at all? I was wondering if it could be a ram issue is all.

Thanks leelai,

I have cleared both the multitask bar and all of the website data as you suggested. I will now try another reset.

I have done a reset but I still have two Bookmark Bar folders. Otherwise it's ok as I can now add bookmarks but I would like to get rid of the non functioning Bookmark Bar.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it sure sounds as if you've got a "bug" of some sort in your Safari app. Cause you sure can't delete the Bookmarks Bar, it's a stock feature of Safari. And, you can't uninstall/reinstall Safari, because it's a stock Apple app that can't be removed.

So, if this really, really bugs you, the only solution is to restore your iPad. This entails making a backup of the iPad and then, using iTunes, wiping the iPad and putting a fresh version of iOS 5.0.1 on it. Then, you can put it back the way you had it using your backup. It's not a hard process (I just restored mine yesterday) but it is a bit time-consuming.

Since it will be a fresh install of Safari, along with the firmware, your new Safari should work fine. It's up to you to decide if this is the way you want to go - because I honestly think that's your only fix, given that you've tried all the suggestions here.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts