What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book sync does nothing

johnharvard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently loaded some epub books into iTunes and now I want to get them on to my iPad. When I click on "Books" under Library all of my books appear just fine. Next, when I click on my device in the left side of iTunes and then click on "Books" on the top menu it shows me the "Sync Books" screen. So good, so far.

Next I look down and all (1454 of them) of my books appear in the Books pane. I select "Sync Books" and make sure "All Books" is selected. I then go down to the bottom and press the Sync button. At the top I see "Preparing to sync", "Waiting for changes to be applied" and then "Finishing sync". This all happens very fast with the result that no (zero) books are moved to the iPad.

So, something went wrong and I don't know what. Tried it over and over but nothing continues to happen. Do the books have to be in a playlist or something? All of the books appear in the "Recently Added" playlist for some reason.

Any clues appreciated.

IOS 6.0

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously it should happen, and it sounds like you're getting everything right.

I highlight the books in iTunes and drag them onto the iPad, making sure the whole iPad, not just one folder, turns blue. That seems to work without fail.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
J

johnharvard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Obviously it should happen, and it sounds like you're getting everything right.

I highlight the books in iTunes and drag them onto the iPad, making sure the whole iPad, not just one folder, turns blue. That seems to work without fail.

Ok, I tried it that way. On iTunes, clicked on Library->Books, selected all books and then dragged to my iPad under DEVICES. The iPad and all folders turned blue. I dropped the files and nothing happened.

Are you supposed to follow that with a Sync? Tried that too, same result.

One interesting thing I noticed - In the "Recently Added" playlist, all of the books show up and next to each number is a small black circle with an exclamation mark in it - "!". Does this mean something?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aha! It means they are not actually in iTunes. This usually means you gave moved them on your HDD. itunes does not automatically follow them to their new location.

This explains why they are not syncing. The file doesn't exist to be synced.

Most reactions

Latest posts