What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth problems

tlynne34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received a Brookstone bluetooth keyboard for Christmas and am having problems getting it connected to my IPad2. I can get it to connect for about 15 seconds and then it quits or won't work. The onscreen keyboard will not come up either so I believe the connection is actually there. I have already returned the keyboard to Brookstone once, thinking it was a product issue, but the 2nd keyboard does the same thing. Then I tried syncing my IPad2 with other devices such as my PC and my phone (samsung galaxy 2), and am having the same problems. The only way I can get it to work is to un-pair and re-pair. This works, but again only for a short period of time. I have also put the new IOS on my IPAD and I thought maybe that was the problem, so I have restored my IPAD to factory settings. That didn't work either. I am typing this on the bluetooth keyboard that I have now paired with my PC. (so I know it works). Any help you can give me would/will be appreciated.

Tammy

deuce5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too received this has an xmas gift this year and have had no success with pairing it properly. I get it to pair occasionally but it never works at all.

When I received the ipad2 and the case for xmas I updated the IOS first thing so I never tried it with the previous OS. I was glad to read that it isnt simply the new OS but that leaves me wondering what the issue is.

looking forward to some help and resolution

~Michael

PS. First post on the board howdy

deuce5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
update!!

I called apple and was walked through several steps via phone directions to try and alleviate/determine the problem. They wanted to make sure it was not with the peripheral but the ipad2.

I reset the network settings thru settings>reset>rest network settings but this did not work.
then I was directed to powering off the ipad as well as the bluetooth keyboard, leaving them off for roughly 20 seconds after doing that and trying to pair the devices. It didnt pair at first then I put the ipad2 on airplane mode and it connected. I went to notes and it worked for 4 seconds and then stopped. I explained that I still had the bluetooth icon dark like it was still connected and lit on the keyboard but the ipad2 was not receiving the keystrokes.

The tech told me the next step was to restore the ipad2 to factory settings and re-download the new iOS.
I have to back my ipad2 up tonight on my windows box and then restore it so I will update here tomorrow if I can contact them about it. If the restore doesnt work it would appear I have to get my ipad2 serviced which is not cool because I havent had it for more than 2 weeks.

just for specs incase anyone else has the same issues.
64gb ipad2
running iOS 5.0.1(9A405)
model MC956LL

the bluetooth keyboard is an ipad2 brookstone case i believe the model number is 712984p

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some Bluetooth keyboard just don't work very well with the iPad. Your best bet is to get another Bluetooth keyboard. I have the Logitech and it works great with my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

rcflyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had a bit of trouble with my iHome Bluetooth keyboard...

deuce5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have an appoitment today at 8:30 to sit with the Genius Bar People and they will look at it. The senior tech I spoke with on the phone left notes to replace the ipad2 with a new one. Let me state that this is not a refurbed unit because it read like it was when I proof read my post.

I also tested my bluetooth stereo headset which I use daily on my laptop and it also did not work. I'd find it funny if it worked with some bluetooth peripherals and not others. I am not going to be spending my time and money to search for what works, it should just work.

PS. This post here reminded me I need to charge the case because they need to test it at the store.

Will post here after I speak to the people at apple and get an idea of what is going to be done. Most likely wont reply till Monday sometime.

~Michael

deuce5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to Apple store for my appointment, waited extra 30 mins after my specific time but oh well.

They tried to get it to work and it didnt and they replaced the whole unit.

Using my brookstone ipad2 cover with bluetooth keyboard to make this post and its great. Have a great weekend everyone

Gabicho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have similar issues with my phillips HB 9000 Bluetooth stereo headset (posted the issue some days ago and got no comments). The headset works fine with an ipad1 and an iphone4, al of them running ios5.01
After trying all the possible operations, I brought my iPad to the Genius bar of a Paris apple store. Got a new device after configuring it as a new device in the store with apple people. It didn't work better. Still having random connections/disconnections between iPad and the headset.
Seems that the Bluetooth stack in ipad2 is not working properly. Maybe because the ipa2 dual core processor ?
Some comments?

Most reactions