What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video player apps for ipad

cidd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yusufjee said:
So no one has tried flex:player which is a FREE application and plays everything smooth except mkv which stutters.

Also is there a way of increasing volume in these applications? Some of the videos i watchi have low volume and its hard to hear without complete silence. I am wondering which of the applications mentioned in this thread has setting to increase/gain the playback volume

You can try Oplayer HD, works pretty well

cid

Cybershaolin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my side, I use 8player and it plays every file I have on my Synology DS210+ locally or outside my local network, Wifi or 3G. I just love it.

Ampress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried 8player but I am unable to see the media already present on my ipad. How does it work. There is a Youtube video that shows it working with some 'servers'. But i just want it to play files stored on my ipad. Or on a flash drive. Have connected one and I am able to see media through ifiles but how to get 8player to open those files?

Cybershaolin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, that I did not try. I avoid keeping video files on my iPad, which takes space and as I have a NAS to stream from.

sherax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use this player for iPhone
PlayerXtreme for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

they also have iPad version
PlayerXtreme - IT PLAYS ALL for iPad on the iTunes App Store

I think this is the best player so far, It played HD 720 movie format flawlessly for me. It has got plenty of other options, like live network streaming and playback, Library management etc.

fars100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad100 said:
I wanted to get some advice from users who may have tried any or all of the following video apps for iPad (see attached image for App Store listing):

CineXPlayer
Movie Player
OPlayer HD
BUZZ Player HD
AVPlayerHD

I have the old VLC Player (the one removed from the App Store) but wasn't impressed. I was hoping to get opinions and/or reviews of the above players, and any others people might suggest. My main needs are as follows:

- Playback of non-Apple formats (mainly MKV, XviD, DivX, etc.)
- Subtitles (.srt, .sub formats)

Thanks in advance!

You 4get the best if the best. ( Air video )

retrype

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, I am xerces and new here. I am looking for a player that has advanced controls (contrast, brightness, colour, sound etc..) for the ipad. Does that even exist ?
See u soon
[h=1]"It's Playing'' wiew on appstore sorry for english [/h]

jt4411

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad100 said:
So, Apple rejected it for the app store, or it was never offered? If it was rejected, do you know the reasons given?

I ask because there are a bunch of video players on offer, so I'd be curious as to why one was rejected.

BTW, I started this thread some time back and have since tested a number of players. To be honest, most perform rather poorly for things like WMV and FLV, but rather well for DivX, XviD, etc. MKV is so-so, but MKV can be very easily extracted and repackaged into MP4 (very often the video codec used is x264, or at least XviD/MPEG-4, so it requires no recoding) which is a much better option for playback on non-JB iPads.

Of the players I tried here is my subjective assessment.

(1) I currently use:
- BUZZ Player: good playback on most formats (excellent for FLV, which is handy), reasonable settings/options, OK GUI, subtitles handled (.srt or .sub with same name as movie is picked up automatically, muxed subs not recognised)
- OPlayer HD: good playback on most formats (better than BUZZ for WMV), reasonable settings.options, basic GUI, handles subtitles

(2) Players I tried and rejected (my opinion/experience only):
- VLC: didn't play back as well as BUZZ or OPlayer HD, basic GUI (no longer available in app store)
- YXPlayer/YXPlayer2: didn't handle files as well as BUZZ or OPlayer HD, basic GUI
- Azul: Crap to use, crap playback, lots of flashing lights but no substance
- eXPLayer: plays OK (not as good as BUZZ or Oplayer HD), impressive but unnecessary GUI (overkill IMHO)
- Movie Player: pretty crappy player for WMV, didn't bother trying much else, OK GUI, not sure about subs
- WMV Player: absolute rubbish, played nothing, I want to demand my $$$ back but am not sure how - any suggestions?

All in all, if you want to play XviD/DivX AVIs most players work well. Subtitles are handled reasonably by most, but I like the way BUZZ and OPlayer HD do it. WMV will play on most players, but playback can be jerky and audio sync can be a problem - I found OPlayer HD to handle it the best, and BUZZ is OK. BUZZ dies a great job with FLV files, which are not so common but often you get a web download in this crappy format and BUZZ handles playback well (OPlayer HD is also OK, but most others had problems with FLV - very jerky, no audio sunc, etc.).

my question is will it unzip video files? thanks!! Jt4411

Most reactions