What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video player apps for ipad

flydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ill check the players i have installed..but i personally have not had the need for fine tuning the video (contrast, brightness, etc).. so i dont know off hand..

are you finding that your videos need to be adjusted?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Brightness is easily changed through ther iPad brightness applet.

Anil_Trinidad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the OPlayerLite installed, and it's fairly crappy most times. The audio and video are out of sync quite often. I tried to play a 700MB mkv movie on it, and it just can't cope. Sometimes the video goes into fast forward for no reason. I've tried short clip wmv's -and that worked fine. AVI's are hit and miss, and the mkv movie just won't go at all.

Call me a cheapskate. I'm not a MAC person, but can't a MAC play most file types out of the box, or if not, with free codec apps?

I jailbroke some time ago on 4.2.1 with redsn0w, and installed VLC 1.1.1 a few minutes ago from what I saw in this thread. However, can someone tell me if VLC can be side-loaded? If not, I guess I will have to go OpenSSH route - which I have not tried as yet.

Steve_bham

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New here as just got my iPad :) is there any player that can play ac3 audio? I've got
Cineplayer but there is no audio?

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve_bham said:
New here as just got my iPad :) is there any player that can play ac3 audio? I've got

I had no issues with avplayer yet....

iWant my iCloud

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Steve_bham said:

GoodPlayer or Buzz Player HD will do this.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scottnsf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad100 said:
I wanted to get some advice from users who may have tried any or all of the following video apps for iPad (see attached image for App Store listing):

CineXPlayer
Movie Player
OPlayer HD
BUZZ Player HD
AVPlayerHD

I have the old VLC Player (the one removed from the App Store) but wasn't impressed. I was hoping to get opinions and/or reviews of the above players, and any others people might suggest. My main needs are as follows:

- Playback of non-Apple formats (mainly MKV, XviD, DivX, etc.)
- Subtitles (.srt, .sub formats)

Thanks in advance!

not mentioned above is AZUL PLAYER. just found AVPlayer recently and like it too. problem with VLC is that since they left the App Store, impossible to get updates/improvements.
BUT what i'm looking for is an app that will do VIDEO CAPS OF THE IPAD SCREEN of other apps ie Urzu, while running. Presently only alternative is to take video of the screen with my digi cam.
any ideas, anyone?

tent_89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe you can consider ggod player..quite good..no lags playing the BR Rip movie..

Techpaste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.techpaste.info
I personally think its the best buy ive made on the app store. Its perfect for when i want to watch movies without having to convert files and plug my ipad into my pc. Wifi transfer is awesome, very quick too! All in all a very good application and kudos to the developers :)

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Techpaste said:
I personally think its the best buy ive made on the app store. Its perfect for when i want to watch movies without having to convert files and plug my ipad into my pc. Wifi transfer is awesome, very quick too! All in all a very good application and kudos to the developers :)

Which app are you talking about?

iWant my iCloud

acemenace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice from users who may have tried any or all of the following video apps for iPad (see attached image for App Store listing):

CineXPlayer
Movie Player
OPlayer HD
BUZZ Player HD
AVPlayerHD

I have the old VLC Player (the one removed from the App Store) but wasn't impressed. I was hoping to get opinions and/or reviews of the above players, and any others people might suggest. My main needs are as follows:

- Playback of non-Apple formats (mainly MKV, XviD, DivX, etc.)
- Subtitles (.srt, .sub formats)
cineXplayer: it can let you transfer instant movies to your iPad without any file conversion and also you can watch your favorite movies on the go without an internet connection. Very easy to use and is relatively cheap and you can handle a wide range of different file types on it. However, Password protection and 3D movie support cost more money once you’ve already paid for the application.

Oplayer HD: You can sync files in iTunes the old, but you can also do it wirelessly by entering the IP address in your browser and uploading videos to the iPad. It's not fast, but it doesn't involve plugging it in. The problem is,its built-in video player only supports its own formats, usually demanding that you put other files through a long, tedious conversion process, and having to sync your files.

BUZZ Player HD:it can play almost anything including streaming from network shares. And it supports almost subtitle types and various protocols. However, Interface not particularly polished, sometimes loses sync after pausing, and needs' a bit of jiggling around to get back in sync.

AVPlayerHD: merely the same with buzz player, it can play anything and can support almost subtitle types.Wi-fi transfer works great and you can easily add videos via iTunes.

Azul Player:plays just about every type of file format.You can download files from the net. On the contrary, it does not play HD and doesn't stream. In order for you to do that,you need a separate app for that.

clockworks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also dont forget that its only 3 measly bucks.

I think if you refund too much , especially for little dollar apps, Apple may flag you as a cheap ass. :)

If I paid 9 bucks on an app that crashed on startup, well..id get my money back for that..

If they advertised that they play Anime vobsubs, but it didnt, well, thats grounds for a refund too..

If you think about it, its quite amazing how cheap we get good apps on iOS.

3 bucks wont even get you a happy meal at McDonalds.

but it will get you a Video Player that will play nearly everything! except embedded vobsubs for anime :p

just my two cents..

It's not about being cheap, it's about principle. That's the exact problem with the App Store. Any db can put out a ****ty product and nab a pretty penny from people who don't care about losing a buck or two. Then the App Store gets filled with cruft.

Now I spend $20 sifting through the cruft. And like you say, $20 for a quality app isn't bad at all. But it's annoying that 80% of that $20 is going to the crappy app authors and not to the one that I finally settled on.

You ever hear that expression "vote with your money"? It would be *a lot* easier if Apple just enforced trial periods or some such.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
acemenace said:
i agree clockworks! :D

+1

I think ALL content should have a trial, a few hours for apps (usage, not time since purchase). Mp3s for a couple of days, say. The first 20 minutes of a film etc.

When you make purchases consumption based, the content will increase in quality.

iWant my iCloud

Most reactions

Latest posts